Yamaha Clavinova clp s306 ipad4

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
rasoul

Post by rasoul »

So I just bought an ipad 4 just to use synthesia with my Yamaha clavinova clp s306.
The keyboard works with other piano apps in the ipad, but Synthesia can not see the keyboard!
For all of them I'm using the standard USB cable come with it.

Please help.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Synthesia can only communicate with devices that use the generic iOS MIDI driver. Did you have to install any Yamaha specific apps on iOS?
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

a great set up for you u're lucky :)
ipad4+clavinova 8-)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I feel like I'm starting to hear this more and more often about high-end Yamaha models. I wonder if they're starting to prefer some proprietary API instead of using the built-in CoreMIDI... though, I can't imagine why they might.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

From the Clavinova user's manual:
Connecting a Personal Computer
By connecting a computer to the Clavinova’s USB [TO HOST] terminal, you can transfer data
between the instrument and the computer via MIDI. To do this, install the USB-MIDI driver and
Musicsoft Downloader software (refer to the included “Accessory CD-ROM Installation Guide”).
That sort of statement is a warning flag that the USB-MIDI provided by the keyboard might not work with the iPad version of Synthesia.

Since the s306 has the round 5 pin legacy MIDI plugs, you can use a MIDI to USB cable that is supported by the iPad's CoreMIDI driver. Don't get one of those cheap no name cables though. They also have a lot of problems.
Jim Henry
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

No problem with the same driver for me but on pc :)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Windows does make it easier for an application like Synthesia to use a manufacturer supplied driver than iOS does.
Jim Henry
rasoul

Post by rasoul »

Thank You All for the help.

After testing with many configurations, the solution was very easy.
Connected with "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter"
Reboot the ipad while connected to piano while "ON"

And it works both ways, in and out.

Note "The USB connector that comes with iPad4 does not work"

Cheers
jonfinpa

Post by jonfinpa »

Interesting ! This solution does not work when connected to a Yamaha Disklavier E3 USB to host port :?
I suspect the issue is in the firmware of the E3.
Jon
York, Pa USA
Yamaha Disklavier E3
tiagoling

Post by tiagoling »

The solution described by rasoul works here too!

It only works by rebooting the ipad with the adaptar plugged and piano turned on.

Yamaha YDP-161 + iPad Air 2 + USB Host (lightning to USB + printer USB cable)
theill

Post by theill »

This works for me too on my Yamaha N45 but only for one minute! I've timed it and it's pretty consistent. It detects my keyboard and I'm able to play but after 60 seconds I get "accessory not compatible with iPad" system message followed by a"connection lost" message from Synthesia.

Anyone seeing a similar behavior. I need to restart my iPad to have it work again (for one minute)