How do I connect an iPad mini?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
MaxC246

Post by MaxC246 »

Sorry to have to ask is question, but I searched for about 30 minutes and couldn't find the answer. I just got an iPad mini and need to know what hardware to purchase to connect it to my Casio Privia PX-320.

I thought there would be a sticky or some instructions in the app on how to do that. If there are, could someone please point me to them?

Thanks,
Max.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The "Need help connecting your keyboard?" button under Music Device Settings inside Synthesia links to this page, which should hopefully answer your question.
MaxC246

Post by MaxC246 »

Thanks Nicholas. I knew it had to be somewhere. Question... When connecting my keyboard, is it just going to magically work like so many apple products do, or am I going to need to find some drivers somewhere?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Outside of enabling it on that same screen in Synthesia, it should just work magically.

That is, assuming that particular model is a class-compliant MIDI device. If it requires a driver on Mac/PC, there is a chance it won't work at all with your iPad. (That is the long version of saying "Apple doesn't allow drivers on iPads".)
MaxC246

Post by MaxC246 »

"Class compliant MIDI" That's the phrase I needed for searching. Turns out my PX-320 isn't class compliant. Looks like its going to be MIDI ports and an iRig for me.

Many thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Oh! Cool, I'm glad we caught that. I mentioned it in the first place because I know quite a few Casio models require a driver. (And I know that because for the longest time Casio didn't provide 64-bit versions of their drivers so anyone with a 64-bit OS couldn't use any of their devices. :? )
MaxC246

Post by MaxC246 »

Just wanted to report that I got my iRig MIDI and 30 pin to Lightning converter (with the cable in between the 2 ends) today. Hooked it up and BAM! Just like the magic I've come to expect from Apple. There was no software loading. No app to install (though it did prompt me to download the iRig app from the app store).... no ANYTHING to do. I just went into the Synthesia settings, set the input and output settings to the iRig (which was just magically there) and off I went.

Now time to buy the iPad version of Synthesia. Thanks for making it so cheap, Nathan. I was going to be a little frustrated if I had to pay full price again, but I totally understand Apple licensing. :)

On a side note, it's been a long time since I really used Synthesia (nearly a couple of years) so it's nice to see how far you've come during that time. The app looks really slick. It does my ego good to think that I might have had a little input on some of the refinement that has taken place. You should be very proud of yourself, Nathan. Synthesia has turned in to a beautiful app!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

MaxC246 wrote:Thanks for making it so cheap, Nathan.
MaxC246 wrote:You should be very proud of yourself, Nathan.
I'm happy to hear you've got things up and running easily! Thanks for all the feedback (in this post and over the last 4 years!), too.

... but who is Nathan? :lol:
MaxC246

Post by MaxC246 »

Nicholas wrote:
... but who is Nathan? :lol:
Well THAT'S embarrassing! :oops: I'm gonna blame my excitement for my new toys on my brain fart.