9 Preview r2478 - Multiple languages

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r2478
Download from the pink box above.

Changes in r2478 since r2411:
  • Multiple languages! Use the button on the title screen to choose.
  • Language auto-detection. If your system is set to use a language that Synthesia supports, it should use it by default.
  • ~90 small text/interface changes to support multiple languages.
  • Fixed a crash on iPad (and Mac?) when interacting with loops.
  • Added "Gameplay.FingerNames" setting to override 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 as finger names.
Known issue: Using a couple of languages, one or two headings on the score results table overlap a little bit. I haven't thought of a solution to that yet. I'm alright with it going out the door in that state though, if that's the only problem.

I'd like to hear from users with a non-English (but supported) system language: Does Synthesia start up in non-English? (This is for you guys kiwi and TonE!)

Otherwise, this is a Synthesia 9 release candidate. I'm rushing a little because I want to get a non-crashy iPad version pushed out as soon as possible. If you guys find anything, please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks!
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Well it was quick brb in 5 mn thx Nicholas.
Ok i have checked all the texts well it's all good !
Ps: I have just seen some little "conjugation" errors
but not so much important did you want them for to correct ?
Last edited by kiwi on 10-15-13 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

kiwi wrote:Well it was quick brb in 5 mn thx Nicholas.
I'm not sure about "quick"... I've been working on it for about 11 hours straight now. ;)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Quick since you're last post when u said "hoppefully u 'll test yourself soon"
Ps:1rst message edited.
By the way for me Synthesia in English is fine but it 'll derserve it a lot am sure good job!
Edit: Oh and yes it launched directly in french (win764bits)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

kiwi wrote:...but not so much important did you want them for to correct ?
Nah, so long as there aren't any major errors I'm happy leaving it as-is. It's an interesting problem: when I can't confirm which version of the text is most-correct (say between a user's recommendation and the translation service, or a disagreement between two users) I'm not really sure how to proceed. I'll have to think about how to solve that problem.
kiwi wrote:Edit: Oh and yes it launched directly in french
That is great to hear, thanks!
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Well i am agree with you're translator and it's very perfect i have just seen 3 fault of conjugations eg:

parametres==>Chanson ===>L'autre main===> joué par Synthesia
The correct sentence is "Jouée par Synthesia"
as you can see in french genre and numbers are important in conjugation but i have seen only this fault 3 times so yes it's not really important but other is perfect so why make 3 mistakes if u can have it all perfect :)
Edit:another thing interesting i am not at home in french due to these years to use Synthesia in English French have long sentence who confuse me a little .
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

kiwi wrote:... as you can see in french genre and numbers are important in conjugation...
I know the pluralization rules in many countries are (much!) more complex than English, but I kind of took the easy way out and left everything maximum-plural in the text I sent out to the translation service. So it's alright if you see something like "1 songs" (which should be "1 song"). From an expediency standpoint that made the most sense for this first pass.

Though the gender thing is interesting. Which genders are "joué" and "jouée" referring to? Are you saying that you and the translator disagree on which gender should be assigned to "Synthesia"? What are the usual rules for assigning things like software titles a gender? (All this language stuff is fascinating! I had no idea there were so many different kinds of quotation marks a couple days ago. Those « and » marks that French uses are neat. I wish we did that in English. :lol: )
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Quotation marks are the same in English and in french (i didn't know it too about différents one in german per eg)

When i mean "genre" i mean male or female "he" or "she" genre is the french word (i don't know for English cause you don't have this)

So "L'autre main" is female ,a hand is female in french and if we have the verb "to be" before so it's according with "female/male and plurialisation"
(it doesn't accord when the verb "to have is used")

So "L'autre main est jouée" because "main"(=hand) is female so we add an "e" l'autre main est jouée
Hope i am clear :geek: not easy haha

Ps: Synthesia is male because it's a software but it's not the purpose of my remark.(i don't see exactly what you mean)
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

My system language is English. ;)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

A real geek :ugeek: ^^
revilo2

Post by revilo2 »

Hello,

I will "translate" :

In Section Ajouter des fonctionnalités/Nombres correspondant aux doigts

Ajouter des nombres correspondants aux doigts d'un simple geste. Les bouts des doigts sont également déjà inclus pour les chansons intégrées.

By :

Ajouter des fonctionnalités/Nombres correspondant aux doigts (doigtés)

Ajouter des nombres correspondants aux doigts (doigtés) d'un simple geste. Les doigtés sont également déjà inclus pour les chansons intégrées.

And in Section Paramètres/Dispositifs de Musique :

Entrée de Musique
Sortie de Musique

By

Section Paramètres/Dispositifs Audio

Entrée Audio
Sortie Audio

It's more "natural" in french.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Regarding "Musique" vs. "Son", this is actually something I make a distinction about in the English version of the text too. Certainly "Sound Input" and "Sound Output" are more common terms in computers than "Music Input" and "Music Output" but I am trying to make the distinction that we're talking about MIDI devices (or musical instruments) more than the usual connotations you get from the word "Sound" (namely PCM output levels of a sound card).

So whether it's more natural, I actually like that we're talking about music more than sound there.

As for the first recommendation, I like "Les doigtés" a lot more judging by what's coming out of the auto-translator.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Yep you see Nicholas for doighté héhé but "bout de doights" is correct or "dessin des doights" not doighté because you refer to the picture of finger not the fingertips.Or maybe not?
For the music output i am totally with revilo and there's some little things like this but not so much...
You can use "sortie/entrée midi" too if u like distinction with midi and sounds ;)

@ Revilo je lui avait dis ca aussi pour doighté mais les bouts de doight sont correct car c'est les dessins des doight non le doighté mais peut etre pas finalement :)
Pour la sortie audio entièrement d'accord avec toi.
revilo2

Post by revilo2 »

@kiwi

Pour les doigtés, je suis sûr de moi.

Les doigtés (fingering) sont les nombres correspondants aux doigts.

Pour ce qui est de Entrée/Sortie Son/Audio/Musique, ça se discute.
Last edited by revilo2 on 10-16-13 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

I would prefer if forums would be everywhere so international, with some optional, auto-translator on its side. The auto-translation can be done today from Google via, double click text paragraph = select paragraph, copy to clipboard, send clipboard content to Google translator, get Google's translation result, write or speak the result via text to speech engine. Then e.g. anybody in the world could join also a Japanese forum or Chinese forum, even if you never learned these languages, but Google did. Google as external partial brain. :) Greetings to Ray Kurzweil.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TonE wrote:The auto-translation can be done today from Google via, double click text paragraph = select paragraph, copy to clipboard, send clipboard content to Google translator, get Google's translation result...
If you use Chrome it's a simple matter of right-clicking in the web page and selecting "Translate to English" (or whatever your preferred language). It handles the rest of the details for you.

You're right though... we live in an exciting time. Even a decade ago, I wouldn't be able to communicate half as effectively as I do with non-English speakers today. (Two decades ago and I couldn't communicate with them at all!)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

revilo2 wrote:@kiwi

Pour les doigtés, je suis sûr de moi.

Les doigtés (fingering) sont les nombres correspondents aux doigts.

Pour ce qui est de Entrée/Sortie Son/Audio/Musique, ça se discute.
Oui mais je pensais que il voulait parler du dessin qui apparait pour les bout de doights dessinés. et pas des fingerhints /tips mais apres relecture en effet c'est le doighté tu as raison.

Et pour sortie midi ou audio c'est bien mieux que sortie de la musique comme on peut le voir dans tous les daw (cubase pro Tools logic etc...) ce que tu suggérait d'ailleur.
Dans ce cas y a pas que ca ^^ nombre des doight c'est faut c'est pas des nombres mais des chiffres car on va de zero à 5 y a plein de truc qui pourrait etre mieux tourné en FR c'est vrai mais ca reste correcte et Nicholas apperment veut pas trop s'embeter :D
ressan

Post by ressan »

Bonjour,
doigté je le comprend plus comme "savoir-faire" que le numéro du doigt ...
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Eh bien, pourquoi pas mes amis, continuer comme ça. Toutes erreurs appartiennent à Google.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

這是很有趣的遊戲來。