Ledger lines

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Don't know if this has been suggested before, probably, but it's a bit disturbing when notes, that belong to the treble clef, but are below middle C, are moved to the bass on the sheet music display. Ledger lines below middle C are what I would very much like to see. Thanks for reading this.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Good handling of staffs and clefs will (finally!) be coming with the Synthesia release that introduces MusicXML support. This has been a problem for a long time (it even used to be worse than it is today!) and is definitely something I'm expecting to tackle soon.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Thank you Nicholas, look forward to it. Oh yes, of course, also ledger lines above the treble and below the bass clef, but that goes without saying maybe.
dassoun

Post by dassoun »

It is what we are talking about?

Original music sheet:

Synthesia Music sheet:

If yes, the release should be great! :)
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Yes, ledger lines are the lines for the notes outside the grids themselves, outside the five lines and four spaces grids of the treble and the bass clefs. Since the E4 notes in the original sheet belong to the bass clef, they fall upon a ledger line, but as Synthesia has it now, it simply moves the E4s to the treble clef, to the lowest line of the grid, where it's supposed to be, according to music notation rules, but not according to the original sheet.
dassoun

Post by dassoun »

I am a real piano, and music reader beginner, so I don't know the music notation rules.
The only thing I am able to note is that the original is more comfortable / easy to read, because the bass clef has to be played with the left hand, and the melody (treble clef) with the right hand.
It's very hard to see with the Synthesia music sheet.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

dassoun wrote:It's very hard to see with the Synthesia music sheet.
I agree. And yes, this is the kind of stuff I'm hoping to fix. :)