How to setup MIDI-OX, LoopBe1 and Synthesia

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

This is how I did it, but MIDI-Ox seems to block Synthesia's way to my piano, as input. I've tried a few different ways, but I either get the echo or the wrong voices are played, like strings or finger bass (I think) instead of piano. Any suggestions?
Attachments
settingssynthox.jpg
settingssynthox.jpg (175.62 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

I know now that I cannot have Casio USB-MIDI as input in both MIDI-Ox and Synthesia, it cannot be shared. Problem is, when I remove the Casio of the Input list in MIDI-Ox, Synthesia can read from it alright, but it doesn't seem to send information back to LoopBe1, and therefore LoopBe1 is not sending the keystrokes back to the Casio.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

In your follow-up it sounds like you have things set up correctly. (MIDI-OX should only be reading input from LoopBe1.)

You might want to double-check that LoopBe1 didn't "mute" itself. If it detects that its own input and output are connected to each other (forming an infinite loop) it will "mute" itself to stop the feedback from going on forever. Once everything is set up correctly, you should be able to click the LoopBe1 icon in your system tray (you may have to click the little up-arrow by your clock to find it) and remove the check from the Mute box.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Thank you, Nicholas. I've exactly created infinite MIDI loops, and LoopBe warned me about it, and as you say muted itself. I can of course mute the track I'm playing in Synthesia, somehow forgot that simple fact.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Update It suits me best to have the piano as input and output, but turn the volume down to 50-60%. That way I can play one track, and have Synthesia send the other to my piano, while muting the track played by me in Synthesia. I only have to remember to choose the right voice on the channel of the track played by Synthesia.

I don't need MIDI-Ox in this setup. Which is good, I don't like to complicate things with a MIDI spaghetti, as someone called it. ;)