Recoloring

Collaborate with other modders to make Synthesia the way you want it.
Always the latest versions: [ colors.xml | ui.xml ]
Read the Getting Started topic to learn how important it is to MERGE YOUR CHANGES every time you download a new dev preview.
Korados

Post by Korados »

Hello guys,

I wanted to recolor Synthesia to an orange theme but unfortunately I encountered a problem:

When I tried to recolor the footer at the menu, just the upper half turned into orange and
the lower one stayed blue-violet. I didn't found a solution in the colors.xml, so I asked Nicholas
and he asked me to post a new topic so he and I can explain it to you all.

Merry Christmas!

Regards

kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Well i have give up modding i prefer wait because skinning 'll be changing but i am sure i have changed the bottom bar colour et fonts colours in the xml it's here.
here's my xml if u want.
colors.xml
(12.21 KiB) Downloaded 2456 times
ui.xml
(80.4 KiB) Downloaded 2511 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Those gradients were all crazy. The title screen's top half used the general (all the other screen's) header gradient colors in reverse order... and the footer on the title screen used some combination of gradient colors and other stuff.

Anyway, it's fixed now. Grab the latest 8.5 development preview and be sure to MERGE YOUR CHANGES with the latest colors.xml (and ui.xml) from the pink box, above.

You're looking for these (much nicer defined) colors now:
  • headerGradientTop
  • headerGradientBottom
  • titleHeaderGradientTop
  • titleHeaderGradientBottom
  • titleFooterGradientTop
  • titleFooterGradientBottom
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Hmm i have tried to delete background overlay but not really what i want.
Any hints for to remove the 3d effects on the Library ?
Last edited by kiwi on 09-04-14 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Humm maybe i am not very clear so here's what i want to achieve is it possible?
So i have maid my changes in paint so it' ll be more easy to see what i mean.

Legend of the reds arrows:

1:recolore the pale blue in another color
2:removing the 3d effect of the horizontal lines in song Library.
3: removing the 3d effect on adress bar and schearch bar.
4 & 5 :removing the 3d effect on buttons.
Last edited by kiwi on 09-04-14 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

In ui.xml, anywhere you see "backgroundOverlay1" or "backgroundOverlay2", try removing those attributes. Does that make things any better? The overlay layers are usually where the 3D effects come from.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Thank you Nicolas i have already tried it because you already said that to me ^^.
But even if it's a little better it's not totally not 3d.
And on some buttons (navigations at the top) if i delete them i have more 3d effects.

And for the background colour (without using hue) i mean the pale blue color i haven't founded it?

Here a screenshot say me if i can drop more 3d effects on it?
Attachments
synthesiamod.png
synthesiamod.png (64.96 KiB) Viewed 54639 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The background color is "menuBackgroundAccent". This method isn't full-proof, but this can help find those:
  1. Open that screenshot in a program with a good color picker. (Microsoft Paint's is bad. Their hue range is 0..240 for some reason when it should be 0..360.)
  2. Use the color picker to find the RGB or HSV value for the mystery color.
  3. Try to locate it that way in colors.xml.
When I checked (in Photoshop) I got H=200, S=18, V=87. Searching for "18, 87" in the file pointed me to menuBackgroundAccent.

I omitted the 200 in my search because some recent work lets an entire theme build off an "inherited" hue, so "200" appears in fewer places now.

If you don't find it searching for the HSV numbers, try the RGB numbers.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Thank you! worked just the "menuBackgroundAccent" shearch pointed right to the first place i have seen it before but haven't tryed to modify it (because i am not verue familiar with hue).
So i changed for rgb cause i don't want this background change if i use the simple hue color config.

And for 3d effects i can make more flat/metro style?
I remember you wanted to include custom picture ressources is it planned ? cause i 'll replace the 3d effects by my own pictures without 3d effects for a total customising.

If i use ressource hacker with the tool of lemo maybe i can?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Replacing the resources themselves with Resource Hacker or Visual Studio would definitely get rid of the 3D effect.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Ok so i 'll regiving a try (the problem is just that i need to do this for any new dev build :/)
And the task can be consumming for each new build.

Anyway thx for the help Nicholas.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

kiwi wrote:And the task can be time consuming for each new build.
A really great way to speed the merging up would be to get comfortable with a nice "diff" tool like WinMerge or TortoiseIDiff. In just a few clicks you should be able to migrate any changes you've made from one development preview to the next. I love tools like those that can make my life easier.

(This is unrelated, but WinMerge can even compare all the files in entire directory structures recursively. That can be super handy every once in a while.)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Thx for the tip :)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Finally i had succedded to remove all the 3d effects without touching the .xml only .png.