10 Preview r3209-r3255 - Custom Hand Assignments

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PHIDIAS wrote:Change that "setting button"s color for the the notes that I use split to change color?
I don't think I understood what you mean. The "Auto Colors" button in the bottom-right corner of the screen will automatically assign the blue/green colors to all tracks with left/right hands assigned. That might be a fast way to get what you're looking for.
kiwi wrote:... so i have remade a screenshot recheck it i have added infos where is the mistake.
Ah ha! Thanks, now I see what you mean.

Here's what's happening: the vertical lines automatically fade when they reach the far edges of the screen. (You can see this if you pan to the left or right while zoomed in closer than all 88 keys.) This is done so the vertical lines don't interfere with the yellow loop/bookmark "margin" at the left side of the screen.

I will update it so the fade happens much closer to the left edge (and not at all on the right).
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Thank you for the upcoming change :)
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

Hi
I have been using Synthesia for more than 2 years and this is my first post in the forum.

I know that it has been discussed the falling notes labels and several users agreed with the idea to remove the “ugly circles”. But after testing this r3215 of Synthesia 10, I have to say that I have problems seeing the labels clearly. Sorry, but It is so clear with the dark circle in Synthesia 9.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Welcome to the forums! :D

In r3215 I added a band-aid fix for the problem: enable the "Keyboard.LabelBackground" advanced setting in the Synthesia Configuration utility. That should make things easier to see again. For Synthesia 10.1 (following shortly after the 10 release) I have a longer-term fix planned that won't require changing a weird configuration setting.
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

Thanks for the tip. It helps, but... I still prefer the circles.
Falling notes background.JPG
Falling notes background.JPG (23.74 KiB) Viewed 24315 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

So, there were a few things I wanted to try for the 10.1 improvement. One of them is even simpler than we've got today. How does this work for high-contrast?

The challenge with this scheme is that the text needs to fit completely inside the note block (like that F#), which gets a little tricky for the three-letter Solfege note names. Otherwise, I like it.
moreContrast.png
moreContrast.png (8.12 KiB) Viewed 24313 times
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote:gets a little tricky for the three-letter Solfege note names.
I haven't used the solfege labels in Synthesia but aren't the solfege note names two letters except for sol which could be shown as so without ambiguity?
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

Nicholas wrote:So, there were a few things I wanted to try for the 10.1 improvement. One of them is even simpler than we've got today. How does this work for high-contrast?
This is much much better! Great solution!

Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:... aren't the solfege note names two letters except for sol which could be shown as so without ambiguity?
Yep. It was less about ambiguity and more that fitting three letters in a narrow space would make "Sol" illegibly small. The outline version gives more breathing room because the text can escape the note block boundaries and still be read... but there is no denying the new mock-up is much cleaner and higher contrast. If "Sol" is the only (sometimes) casualty, that's a price I think I can pay.
PHIDIAS

Post by PHIDIAS »

Nicholas I think you can make this a choice.
You can use circles or without circles or rectangles via settings. (not config.)
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

After watching the new custom hand assignments in r32215,
I think that it would be nice to have a setting that allows the users to combine two types of labels in the falling notes. For example, Finger Hint Numbers and English Note Names at the same time. I understand that short notes do not have space for two labels, but the idea is more about having some notes with finger labels and others with note names (see picture).
Attachments
Combining labels.JPG
Combining labels.JPG (20.84 KiB) Viewed 24278 times
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Nicholas wrote:So, there were a few things I wanted to try for the 10.1 improvement. One of them is even simpler than we've got today. How does this work for high-contrast?

The challenge with this scheme is that the text needs to fit completely inside the note block (like that F#), which gets a little tricky for the three-letter Solfege note names. Otherwise, I like it.
I love it like that!
Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 »

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r3255
  • Auto-color button now behaves correctly when all tracks are set to Background.
  • Vertical guidelines now start fading much closer to edges of screen.
  • Overlapped percussion notes no longer cause key to be held forever.
  • MIDI output errors shouldn't cause crashes anymore.
  • Fixed OS X text rendering crash when bad characters were present.
  • Support for an upcoming tool to make classroom unlock keys easier to install.
  • Fixed performance capturing at non-100% speed.
That's the rest of the known issues. Translations are due back by Dec-11. Otherwise, this is code-complete for final Synthesia 10. Let me know if you guys find any bugs. Thanks!
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Héhé v10 'll have many improvements regarding v9.
No bugs here :)
Edit:
The lines on the border aren't correct again see screenshot
Spoiler:
borderlines.png
borderlines.png (62.6 KiB) Viewed 24101 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

They're much closer to being correct though! :lol:
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Yep better than before but not perfect corrected in v10?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It is already perfect corrected! The vertical guides still fade out before reaching/obstructing the text in the margin, but now they're more uniform right up until the edges. That is how it's going to stay. ;)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Hum i mean the brightness for vertical lines aren't the same as other octaves.
So when i reach border of the screen i am lost i don't look the text but the lines :)
look at the right marker it's more visible.
francis

Post by francis »

midi markers on tick 1 overlay with the bookmark of the key sig.,
perhaps one of those bookmark types could be replaced to the right.