Are there 88 Key Pianos that Light Up with Synthesia ?

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
dboyce91

Post by dboyce91 »

So I have a 61 key keyboard, Casio and the keys light up. I have ever only once ever in my life see an 88 Key Digital Piano Keyboard that has keys that light up.

Under the "Keyboard" section it tells what pianos are favorited by SynthesiaGame. I do not see any specs indicating the keys will light up when you plug and play game.

5$00: DGX-530 or YPG-535 are full-size with all 88 keys. No song is too varied to play on this.
$800: DGX-650 will give you the best Synthesia experience possible, with fully-weighted keys like a real piano.

So, does anyone know what keyboard may do this ?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Neither of those will light up. Unfortunately most of the keyboard manufacturers consider light-up keys to be a feature for entry-level keyboards only. And at the same time, 88 keys are almost never considered entry-level. So those two features rarely overlap. (I think I've only ever seen one 88 key keyboard with lights, too.)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

You need solid keys for the piano feel that is a prime feature of 88 note keyboards. You need hollow keys if you are going to light them. Piano feel keys and lighted keys are hard to combine.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, the only model I've ever seen with 88 + lights actually put the little LED dots just above the keys instead of trying to install them underneath. That was presumably done for exactly the reason Jim just outlined.

The ideal Synthesia keyboard would be something like this in an 88 key model, with fully weighted keys, and maybe Yamaha's full set of voices. That shape of LED is better than the little "dots" I'd seen before, too. (Probably fewer knobs though...)
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Hi guys, would like to comment - not about lit-up keys or keyboards - but still related to the discussion. In the first post there is a quote from this website, that the Yamaha DGX-650 has fully-weighted keys like a real piano.

That is a rather questionable statement. The DGX-6x0 line has an action called GHS, which stands for Graded Hammer Standard. I owned a Yamaha P85, which has the same action as the DGX-650. I can testify it is rather light, and I can't say for myself that it feels like a real piano. Unless we're talking about some fifty year old inexpensive worn-out upright pianos. The Casio Privias all have the same weight in their keys, and considerably heavier weight than the GHS action in the DGX-650, among others.

Just a note for those wanting to get a digital that resembles a real piano (a term which can be hard to define exactly.) Not to take anything from the Yamaha DGX-650, which is a great piano, and many feel the key weight of it is just fine.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

When acquiring a more expensive keyboard, it is desirable to try it for yourself. The feel of a keyboard is a very personal thing. Even acoustic pianos have quite a range of feels.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Absolutely, Jim.
rapgar

Post by rapgar »

I was recently fortunate enough to purchase a Yamaha CVP-92 at a great price. The 88 keyboard does have lights above the keys and Yamaha has a "piano roll" function similar to Synthesia. The MIDI connections all work perfectly and Synthesia operates normally except I can't seem to get the lights to illuminate. Anybody that has gotten this to work, your input is greatly appreciated.

R