Make Synthesia A Midi Controller With Garage Band?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
JPS

Post by JPS »

Hi

Please See Subject For Question
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

For the iOS version of GarageBand, you could use an app like MidiBridge to connect Synthesia's output to GarageBand's input.

For the OS X version of GarageBand, it's even easier. You don't need to download any separate apps. They already have MIDI routing built into the OS, called the "IAC Driver". This page has a nice tutorial on how to set it up.
JPS

Post by JPS »

Hi

I've noticed that there is a delay when transferring MIDI Output over the network

Is there a way to reduce/fix this

Thanks

From Joshua P Stokes
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

What are you running over the network? Both of the solutions I recommended can run on the local computer or iPad.

How do you have things set up?
JPS

Post by JPS »

I have a midi session set up much like this screenshot which I found online except with just the IACDriver, Network and my previously connected external MIDI keyboard and the window below that

Synthesia Input on iPad is set to the network session

Synthesia Output On iMac is set to the network session

Or Vice-Versa

Thanks

From Joshua P Stokes
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.36 KiB) Viewed 10072 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Ah ha. So you have your keyboard connected to your Mac, but you're playing Synthesia on your iPad. That is clear now.

In that case, I'm not sure there is much you can do about the latency. (If your Mac isn't wired directly to your router yet, that might help a tiny bit, but probably too little to be noticeable.)

The only way to speed it up that I know of is to get the various adapters needed to connect your keyboard directly to your iPad.
JPS

Post by JPS »

I don't always use my Keyboard, sometimes it would be something as simple as playing a midi on the output device and recieving the sound on my input device
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The same advice would still apply: anytime you go over the network, there will be extra latency. In either direction.
JPS

Post by JPS »

So, if I was to record the MIDI over the Internet with the 'Extra Lacenty', would the playback come out the same like when it was transfered over the Internet or not?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If you record with extra latency, I'd guess on playback you'd just end up with double latency if you were still sending it over the network. Half from the recording and half from the network.
JPS

Post by JPS »

So It'd be worse, right

Also, I'm currently trying to find a new keyboard (preferably a syntheisa keyboard) that plays MIDI's in a similar way that the Synthesia program does

I was wondering if I give you two syntheisa keyboards by Casio (since there a terms that I haven't heard of), if you can help me choose one for my specific needs

*Casio XW-G1* http://www.casio-intl.com/in/en/emi/synthesizer/xwg1/
*Casio XW-P1* http://www.casio-intl.com/in/en/emi/synthesizer/xwp1/

My current keyboard as previously mentioned, does play MIDI's, however there is an obvious difference (tone and volume wise)

Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

JPS wrote:So It'd be worse, right?
Yes. Double-latency is worse.
JPS wrote:(preferably a Synthesia keyboard)
I'm not sure I know what you mean by a "Synthesia keyboard". Do you mean a keyboard with a built-in synthesizer?
JPS wrote:... if you can help me choose one for my specific needs
What are your specific needs? :)
JPS

Post by JPS »

Hi Nicholas

It's been a long time since I looked at this post :)

Basically what my specific needs were:

I'm not sure if any 88 note keyboards support this but, my current keyboard has a screen which allows me to see the notes I'm pressing in reference with a staff which I will send a video of to support@synthesiagame.com

Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Taking a look at the video, try this:

Start playing any song in Synthesia (in any mode). Enable sheet music, and skip past the initial silence at the start of the song. Now, if you play notes on your own keyboard, they should appear in the staff at the top of the screen.

Is that what you were looking for?