Synthesia running very buggy and slow on Windows 10?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
austinfett

Post by austinfett »

My midi cable, I don't remember what brand used to work perfectly fine. I've tried unplugging it and even with the keyboard disconnected the game is running very slow or jittery. Watch and listen tends to run somewhat ok after a couple seconds, but trying to play a hand is impossible.

Synthesia's FPS usually bounces around from 144 down to 10. There is no reason considering my desktop is much much better than the trash laptop i had a few years prior that ran Synthesia just fine.

Also, notes are now all gone after I disabled the windows synth in favor of my keyboard.

The version I'm running is 10.1.3320

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

How often does the frame rate drop occur (and for how long)? Windows 10 broke a few things, but MIDI device communication problems aren't something we've seen yet. So you're the first person to report this problem.
austinfett wrote:... notes are now all gone after I disabled the windows synth in favor of my keyboard.
What does this mean? Do you mean the falling notes aren't showing up at all? Try pressing F5 during the song. (You may have bumped F5 when trying to press F6 to show the frame rate.)
austinfett

Post by austinfett »

F5 fixed the notes thanks. I'm a dork.

The Frames change every second. It's pretty much stuttering the whole time I try and have a song play. Whether it was included or not.

The keyboard works when playing the game, but the visuals themselves are so far behind or don't even move at certain points that it makes the game unplayable.

For example, I was watching the frames on the first few seconds of a song and it was jumping from 24-17-10-17 every second it was changing. There isn't any way that this could be a hardware problem (16 GB's of RAM and an Intel core i7 4790k).
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, are you using discrete graphics or the integrated HD 4600 stuff on your i7? (Regardless, both of those should be plenty to draw at better than 10-20 FPS.) I wonder if it isn't something like a missing/broken driver since the Win10 update.

Just to collect a couple more data points, if you try the latest preview of Synthesia 10.2, what sort of numbers do you see there? And if you hold Shift while launching that exe and choose OpenGL instead of DirectX, is there any change? Thanks!
austinfett

Post by austinfett »

The numbers basically remain the same. The game feels like it's flashing too (y'know just buggy feeling I suppose). I threw a song into watch and learn and the numbers sat low for a little while but then jumped to about 142 FPS and stayed there pretty much. The game had micro stutters though. Playing with a hand is still unbearable.

OpenGL does nothing over DirectX.

I'm using two GTX 980 Ti GPU's. More than enough for Synthesia.

Thanks for your assistance Nicholas.
austinfett

Post by austinfett »

I just changed my monitors Refresh Rate to 60 Hz and it solved all of my issues.

Just for reference for anyone in the future I suppose. I haven't tried 120, but 144 wouldn't work at all.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

austinfett wrote:... but 144 wouldn't work at all.
Wow, that's the last thing I would have thought was the problem. Thanks for tracking that down. (I've personally tested at 120 Hz on Nvidia hardware and it's been fine.)

We've got a 144 Hz monitor around here, but I've never done any testing on it. I'll check that out and see if I can't reproduce the problem in-house. Thanks again!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hrm. GTX 980 @ 144 Hz and I never saw the counter drop below 143 FPS.

The differences between this machine and yours include: no SLI and Windows 8.1 vs. 10. I've actually never seen or heard of anyone running Synthesia with an SLI setup. I wonder if there isn't something quirky happening there; though I'd sooner blame it on Windows 10. My own impression so far has been that Microsoft just pushed out a public beta without calling it one, given things like completely breaking their own MIDI synth.
austinfett

Post by austinfett »

Nicholas wrote:Hrm. GTX 980 @ 144 Hz and I never saw the counter drop below 143 FPS.

The differences between this machine and yours include: no SLI
I just disabled SLI and 143.5 FPS was constant. I was about to say it's my monitor (given that it's 1440p, but that shouldn't matter).

So.. SLI either doesn't work with Synthesia or SLI with Windows 10 is the problem. Interesting and very odd.
FreeBird

Post by FreeBird »

Hi,

There is a GeForce Hot Fix driver version 355.80 that addresses the following issue "Excessive virtual memory consumption for SLI configurations running Windows 10" : http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... ver-355.80. I don't know if it will solve your problem because I don't have a SLI system but it could be useful to give it a try.

FreeBird