See notes in left hand and fingers in right hand

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

Hello

It would be very useful if the user would have the option to see notes in one hand, and fingers in the other one. At this moment, you can only see notes or fingers in both hands. If this is hard to achieve, I would like to be able to "mark" a particular note to distinguish it from the rest.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

silvrica wrote:At this moment, you can only see notes or fingers in both hands.
Are you talking about labels? Did you mean you want to be able to change the labels independently for each hand? (Would a third option for background notes also be useful?)

This starts to get a little tricky in the UI. There is already a toggle for notes vs. key labels. Now there would be another set of toggles: Notes vs. Keys, then Left vs. Right (vs. Background). I like making things configurable, but adding so much context to each user decision starts (continues?) to make things cumbersome.

Maybe easier would be showing two labels at once on every note? Shortcuts to change labels quickly?

Which particular notes would you distinguish from the rest?
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

Nicholas wrote:Did you mean you want to be able to change the labels independently for each hand?
Correct. But It is seems that this option is complicated.
Nicholas wrote:Which particular notes would you distinguish from the rest?
When I am practicing syncopated rhythms with both hands and the notes of the left hand are very far from the notes of the right hand, I cannot see them at the same time. I have been resolving the problem using a midi editor to duplicate only the notes of the right hand that are played simultaneously with the notes of the left hand. Then, I save them in a different track than the original one. In this way, when I am playing the right hand in Synthesia I can see green notes and some notes yellow or other color. It is a kind o mark that allows me to know when I need to play both hand at the same time. It has been very useful for practicing. This is the reason why I asked for a kind o mark inside of Synthesia to distinguish these specific notes.

I hope I was clear
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I've been thinking about adding something like this highlighter tape idea to the sheet music display (during Synthesia 11, even, since it matches the theme of the release so closely).

It sounds like having a way to indicate something in the falling note area would be just as valuable. Color is far-and-away the most efficient way to differentiate (PDF research paper) during visual search tasks. (Coincidentally, text on the element is the worst!) So, I wonder if giving you an easier way to do what you did in that separate MIDI editor isn't the best answer.