Solid note labels

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
TomTom

Post by TomTom » 01-19-17 9:54 am

Hi, i have an suggestion about english note names. I would like that note labels would always be
C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B instead of
C Db D Eb E F Gb G Ab A Bb B
its really frustrating that in some songs have this different layout or if the layout changes in some part of songs.
i know that there is propably some musical meaning behind this but since i´m playing the same notes on my piano, i dont see it neccesary.
So it would be really nice if you could make an solid: C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B layout :D

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 01-19-17 12:19 pm

Here is a diagram showing how Synthesia will label things depending on the current key signature in the song. If you'd like to see all typical sharps, you could use a MIDI editor to change the key signature of the song you're playing to E Major.

While I do understand your frustration (and have experienced it myself in the past), gaining a level of comfort with the idea that an Eb can also be "spelled" as D# is good practice. When reading sheet music there is no escaping it, so developing the ability now will be useful in the future.

jimhenry

Post by jimhenry » 01-19-17 5:22 pm

I just reread the discussion on the naming of out of scale piano keys. My thought now is that names should be shown only on the in scale keys. That will show names on 7/12 of the keys. Every unlabeled key will be framed by two labeled keys.

I don't think there is any value in labeling the out of scale keys when we can all agree that we can't agree on how those keys are properly labeled. And I think most of us would agree that the out of scale keys may need different labelings depending on the musical context in which they are used.

Making a call back to another thread where I posted about the value of displaying the keyboard in a way that made it more obvious which keys are in the scale, labeling only the in scale keys would be another way to do that. I would argue that there is more value in reinforcing what keys are in scale than in teaching the names of all the keys, all the time.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that labeling only in scale keys is better pedagogically than labeling all keys, even if it could unambiguously be done correctly at all times.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 01-19-17 6:55 pm

I think I'm starting to lean this way, too. (And the "Octave" labels shouldn't always be forced to C1..C8; they should label the root of the current key for the same reasons you mentioned!)

My fear now is that it's shown all the labels for enough years that there will be plenty of angry users when it goes away. :lol: Maybe 7 labels by default and an option to turn the other 5 back on.

jimhenry

Post by jimhenry » 01-19-17 8:40 pm

Nicholas wrote:(And the "Octave" labels shouldn't always be forced to C1..C8; they should label the root of the current key for the same reasons you mentioned!)
AFAIK the octave number does NOT track the root of the scale. My understanding is that the octaves are more of a keyboard construction designation and new octaves always begin on C. That will be a bit awkward for scales that do not include C natural but I could live with putting the octave designation on C#.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/