How to turn mp3 in a midi file.

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
spike

Post by spike »

I want to play this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSw_s0e--Ek

But I only want to learn the melody in synthesia.

Can someone help me?
monkel

Post by monkel »

Your best bet would be to find someone to transcribe the notes for you, not a hard task for an experienced piano player with decent proficiency handling sheet music.

A quick search didn't turn up any offers in some shops I frequent but you can always suggest it via the form in the pink box above.
IvanL

Post by IvanL »

Any MP3 to MIDI tool isn't likely to produce good results.

Search for sheet music for the song or even guitar tabs, which you can input into music editors like MuseScore, where you can export to MIDI.
Or you could try playing it by hearing.
Pianlo

Post by Pianlo »

IvanL wrote:Search for sheet music for the song or even guitar tabs, which you can input into music editors like MuseScore, where you can export to MIDI.
Can you tell me how i convert a sheet music to a MIDI file?
IvanL

Post by IvanL »

Pianlo, if your input format is a PDF, you would have to manually enter all of the notes into a sheet music editor like MuseScore and then you can export as MIDI.
Pianlo

Post by Pianlo »

So i have to manually enter all of the notes into a sheet music and can't Import a PDF file and Export to a MIDI file.
Thank you
monkel

Post by monkel »

Do you have sheet music for the song?
Pianlo

Post by Pianlo »

Yeah
monkel

Post by monkel »

Register here for free and give it a try:

https://musescore.com/import

Depending on the format and complexity (just a pdf with scanned images, an export from a musical notation program, resolution, lyrics, size ...) the results will vary.

You can also send it to me and I'll give it a go.
Pianlo

Post by Pianlo »

Ahh, after the Import i can download the Sheet Music as a mscz file, open it with Musescore 2 and export to MIDI. Thanks. Do you know if it's illegal?
monkel

Post by monkel »

Depends on the conditions under which you obtained the PDF. Typically sold sheet music does not allow for further reproduction or distribution. But what you do with it for yourself will probably not interest anyone.

You could always say that you played it from the sheet and recorded the midi yourself.
Pianlo

Post by Pianlo »

monkel wrote:Depends on the conditions under which you obtained the PDF.
The creator of the Sheet Music has released it as a free download. Is that legal?
And do you also have often the Problem that the Converter can't read your PDF so your file is unsuccesful?
monkel

Post by monkel »

It may be legal, but sounds unlikely as the offering party would have to have permission by the artist / recording company / rights holder.

Also "legal" is a very vague term, as you may live in a totally different jurisdisction then the rights owner / download site operatorer etc.

If you found a way to make it usable for yourself in Synthesia, great, just don't redistribute further unless you want to be held responsible for your published work.
Pianlo

Post by Pianlo »

Okay, thanks
EgMusic

Post by EgMusic »

Hey! You can convert mp3's to MIDIs using https://www.ofoct.com/audio-converter/c ... -midi.html

If you have a file in another format which is not supported, you can use https://www.online-audio-converter.com

This works as of 10-12-17
JacksonMoon

Post by JacksonMoon »

This cannot be done. You can turn a MIDI File into Mp3 very easy but an MP3 to MIDI. I've never seen it done successfully except perhaps for single note MP3.