Display whole song / download

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
marhyno

Post by marhyno »

Hi there, I would like to ask for this option in our beloved software.
When I am learning any song I can only see part of the song, so when I want to learn something I have to stop and rewind video to memorize the keys.

It would be really helpful if there would be an option to display whole song at one, or download it as PDF or something like that.
Seeing whole song will prepare me and my arms where to put them on the keyboard.

Thank you in advance.
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

I would also like to see an option to see how the song looks on max zoomout - this is a nice idea. Maybe display temporarily vertical picture of entire song when it's being scrolled and/or allow displaying it permanently.

Anyway as for now you could use the PgDn & PgUp keys to stretch or shrink falling notes to see them more upfront. If you have an extra key you can use on your instrument, you can bind a pause key, so you can quickly hold the song during rhythm practice if something surprises you.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

With the falling note / piano roll style of music it's a bit tricky to display a lot of time at once. If a song is only 20 seconds, it might work. But imagine a nice ten minute long movement of some classical piece and how distorted/small the notes would have to be to show the whole thing. Showing that ten minute song on a 1080p screen would make each beat (at 120 bpm) almost exactly one pixel tall.

This is one of the places where falling notes have to defer to sheet music. I like to think of sheet music as a form of compression designed to fit as much musical information onto a piece of paper as possible. One good example is Arabesque. At its most-squashed in Synthesia, it's still about five screens of music. But the PDF sheet music version in that same forum post fits on a single page.
BK5

Post by BK5 »

I would like to be able to print the sheet music I'm learning so I can take it with me and my keyboard where my computer is unable to go. I tried using another program to print the midi file but it showed a midi format error. Another option would be like someone mentioned would be to download a pdf file of those songs.
Would be most appreciated.
Thank You
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Which other program did you try to use? MuseScore is usually one of the best apps for printing sheet music. Even better, it's completely free!
BK5

Post by BK5 »

The program I tried to use was called Midi Sheet Music and I just tried it again and here is the full message: MidiSheetMusic was unable to open the file Fur Elise.mid it does not appear to be a valid midi file. Doesn't start with MThd at offset 0.

Do you have any suggestion on software that would allow the midi file sheet music to be printed. I tried another midi file of Fur Elise.mid from the internet that Midi Sheet Music excepted but the notes where different. Now I'm just starting so I can't tell you in which way my guess a different key or notes.
Thanks
BK5

Post by BK5 »

I just downloaded MuseScore 2 and I get the same message about MThd expected.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

BK5 wrote:Doesn't start with MThd at offset 0.
It sounds like that one isn't actually a MIDI file. (Sometimes people will rename .wav or .mp3 files thinking that is all it will take to turn it into a .mid, but the file formats are rather different!)