Advancement lost

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Nestlo

Post by Nestlo »

Hi,
First of all, thank you for such an amazing tool, i'm 30yo and I really enjoy being able to learn piano on my own ;)
Regarding my problem, Synthesia crashed fews days ago and i lost 2 days of advancement.
My first question would be, is there a way to get it back ? I suppose not, but in case...

Secondly, my piano is not always recognized when i launch Synthesia, i had to delete and reinstall the .exe to make it works.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I followed the step by step guide.

Also, i found a synthesia r4395 crashed.dmp on my desktop, should I forward it ?

Thanks for you time
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The crash and the progress loss sound like they might be related. Yeah, if you could either attach the crash report here or send it to support@synthesiagame.com, I can take a look to see what went wrong.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for sending that along! It looks like the crash was somewhere in Microsoft's new and -- we've realized since the Synthesia 10.4 release -- rather buggy MIDI code. Try this and let me know if it solves the problem:

1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia (to open the configuration window).
2. Find the "Midi.UseWinRTMidi" entry in the Setting drop-down box.
3. Remove the check mark from the "Value" box.

That should be it. After you close the configuration window and start Synthesia normally, it will use the older (more reliable) Microsoft MIDI library. You may need to update your MIDI devices on the Settings screen (the two libraries give different names for each keyboard, so it will look like you just got a new keyboard to Synthesia), but there should be less trouble now.

Let me know if that helps. Thanks!
Nestlo

Post by Nestlo »

Thanks for your help !
So, actually, it worked fine for few days after disabling "Midi.UseWinRTMidi" entry and then the same problem showed up again.
My keyboard is a Yamaha P45.
Any idea of what went wrong? :/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Is there a new crash report? I wonder if it's in a different place now. If you could send that one along, too, that would be helpful. Thanks!