Add a SAVE button

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
st5555

Post by st5555 »

I use an old laptop to run Synthesia with my keyboard and it works great.
Using an old spare laptop means I can leave it connected all the time.

The issue I have, which is a problem with the old laptop is that it will on rare occasion, lockup.
Restarting is easy, but I lose all my progress.

I was wondering, what it would entail to add a SAVE button to the icon bar in Synthesia.
That would enable me to save my progress whenever I wanted and not have to shut down Synthesia for the save.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm. Is the freeze always when running Synthesia? Or does it also happen when doing other things on the same laptop. (Ideally, Synthesia shouldn't be crashing machines in the first place.)

The right answer is to handle the data files a little differently and always save in real-time, whenever anything is changed. Then there is no data loss and no manual save button to click. This would require switching to something a little closer to a database back-end for the data storage. Because Synthesia 12 will already be breaking backwards compatibility with existing scores (the plan is to completely revamp the way song progress is measured and awarded to something based more closely in piano pedagogy), that will probably be the best time to switch the data files over to a new format, too. So, that's the plan for now. That will finally ensure the data loss and data corruption problems will be solved for good.
st5555

Post by st5555 »

Thanks for the quick reply. Synthesia runs great, it's the old laptop.

I didn't want to bore you with too much detail, but it's battery is no longer any good and any power fluctuation causes the old lap top to shut down.

As I usually leave it running along with Synthesia, I lose any progress unless I make a point to shut down Synthesia to make sure it's saved.

Your solution sounds great, more than I could have asked for. Thanks!