Count in before every loop (as option)

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Angelos58

Post by Angelos58 »

I think would be a very usefull option select a count in before a loop.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If you click the Loop button at the top-right corner, you can already choose the number of beats you want between loops. Did you mean that you also wanted the metronome to tick during that time?
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

It seems like a good idea to have the possibility of a metronome count-in on loops. I don't think you need any additional controls. Just treat the start of a loop with some number of beats between loops the same as the start of a song with regard to the metronome.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Today, the metronome menu has this toggle:
  • Only run before song starts
  • Always running
Would it be a meaningful distinction to split that into three separate on/off options like:
  • Count-in the song
  • Count-in each loop
  • Tick continuously
That last one is still worded a bit awkwardly, but I think I like that more than "always running".
Angelos58

Post by Angelos58 »

Nicholas wrote:If you click the Loop button at the top-right corner, you can already choose the number of beats you want between loops. Did you mean that you also wanted the metronome to tick during that time?
Yes, please.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

If you are going to add an option, I think a real Off rather than conflating off with volume would be a better choice:
  • Off
  • Count-in
  • Run
"Run" isn't really descriptive, but I think it is understandable in the context. I think these choices accomplish the same thing if you want count-in for songs and not loops or vice versa. But it is more efficient if you want count-ins for both. And it is a more expected control if you want to stop the metronome. If I remember correctly, the metronome never really ticks continuously but only when a song is being played, which is a good thing.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:... I think a real Off rather than conflating off with volume would be a better choice
My new suggestions are all independent on/off toggles. If you turn all three off, you get a real off. If you turn all three on, the metronome would tick before, during the song, and during loop count-ins. The default would probably be the first two options enabled. It is perhaps too fine-grained.

Yours has a nice simplicity to it. And a set of choices where you pick one is easier to wrap your head around than lots of separate choices. Hmm.
jimhenry wrote:... the metronome never really ticks continuously but only when a song is being played, which is a good thing.
Yes, this is another weakness in the "tick continuously" wording. :?