Good; perfect; barely, Recital comments

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
st5555

Post by st5555 »

When playing a song in Recital mode, the evaluation of your efforts sometimes appear on the screen.

I've noticed that since I'm focused on lower half of the screen, raising my eyes up to read the evaluation can only be done at certain points.

Would it be possible to allow the end user to adjust the comments to where ever we like on the screen?

I for example, would pull them down closer to the keys so I wouldn't have to move my eyes up much during the song.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to adding more knobs or things for users to fiddle with. The interface is already quite... rich in how much you have control over. (Most Synthesia clones give you four buttons and call it a day. :lol: )

I wonder if there isn't a better solution in this case for everyone. Thinking back to the way I've seen it done in other rhythm games (DDR, Guitar Hero, etc.), there is a much more prominent use of color in the feedback text. It's a little tricky to find DDR videos online where every note isn't a "Perfect", but this shows what I mean. Gold for Perfect, blue for Good, green for Great, red for Bad, etc.

At that point you don't have to read anything. You can let your peripheral vision do the work. There has been a lot of research that shows color is a much stronger signal than size or shape when searching your visual field.

Would something like that be an equal improvement?
st5555

Post by st5555 »

Sounds like a great solution.

I've realized I created the problem myself by plugging a large monitor into my laptop. It spreads everything out much more than it would on my laptop screen.

It's a minor issue and if it really bothered me, I'd go back to the laptop screen. But I think Synthesia looks great on a large monitor, so I will just accept the consequences of my actions.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If the resolution of the new monitor is high enough (around 1440p is plenty), it might make sense to bump Synthesia up to 2x rendering mode. Then everything (including text) gets larger and crisper. If you'd like to give that a try, do the following:

1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia.
2. Find the "Graphics.ScaleOverride" entry in the list.
3. Change the empty box to either 2 or (if that makes everything too large), then 1.5 instead.

Putting a 2 in the box will make everything perfectly crisp and much larger. (At 1.5 it's a hair blurrier, but it will make things a more reasonable size on lower-resolution screens.)
st5555

Post by st5555 »

Changing the Graphics scale override worked great.
It also made the Notes/Errors box stand out much more. (And I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not! :) )

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If you don't want to see the error box, you can click it. That will tuck it off to the side so that just the edge is peeking out (really, just so there is still something to click if you want to bring it back).