Keyboard keeps sounding like a piano

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Roboto

Post by Roboto »

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a problem. See, I use the latest version of Synthesia with my newly bought Yamaha PSR E453. All fine, where it not that when I start a midi file, the sound reverts to that of a piano, regardless of the instrument I pick on my keyboard. Outside of a midi file, in options and menus, I can change the instrument. Only when I try to play a midi file, it reverts to the piano sound. I use the default Microsoft GS wavetable by the way. I'm just getting started with keyboard and digital music so I'm probably doing something wrong or missing something. Also, I'd really like to use the instrument sounds from my keyboard, so I'm reluctant to use a different soundfont or something.

Thanks in advance for helping me with this!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Sorry for the wait on this!

Try downloading the beta version of Synthesia 10.5 from this page. In that version, head over to Settings --> Advanced --> Instrument Change Messages --> Filtered-out.

Does that solve the problem?
Roboto

Post by Roboto »

Sadly, no. All it does is change every instrument to a grand piano, and changing the instrument on my keyboard does nothing while in a song.

Now that I experiment some more, I realized that the problem might lie with the MS wavetable synth. If I pick my keyboard as output everything is normal, except the sound is coming from the keyboard speakers. I'd rather the sound to come from the PC.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Ah ha! That explains it!

Most keyboards don't send any signals when you change the instrument on them (so Synthesia can't tell what you've done there). Instead, the way to tell Synthesia you'd like a particular instrument is to use the "Hands, Colors, and Instruments" screen. Check out steps #1 and #2 in this guide.
Roboto

Post by Roboto »

Hey thanks for the help, man.