Learning piano tips

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I like that guy. He has another series that I've watched (and recommended) a few times now.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Cool, we live in paradise in terms of quality information compared to the past, one only needs to be interested in certain topics. The information is there waiting for you.
arthurwhite

Post by arthurwhite »

Wow, this is a nice video but very intimidating for us beginners who just want to communicate good, wholesome, healing, beneficial ideas & make everyone happy.
It reminds me of that scene from "A River Runs Through It" about fly fishing properly and my lovely and adorable Presbyterians.

God bless us !
offrhodes

Post by offrhodes »

Well, his audience is "serious" / professional musicians (= getting a degree and doing this for a living). Keep this in mind.

Even professional life has become much more diverse for "working musicians" than it used to be.
As a counterexample for a "professional musician" today, this might be interesting (Steam Dev days lecture).
Besides some fairly epic computer games music (OK, this one's matter of taste) this guy is actually doing visual effects (3x Hobbit, 2x Matrix).
The point? That specializing 5 working years of your life on piano playing alone isn't necessarily the smoothest start into a professional career those days, will it pay off?

And the "less" serious folks can have fun playing music disregarding 90 % of what he's saying.
When you don't practice 15+ hours per week, what's the point in being equally bad in all keys? Start with the three that you'll actually need (like, C because it's easy, E and A, D because guitar players like those or the "horny" equivalent for your brass section if that's your thing).

Same with sight reading. You may know right from the start that you'll never need it, then it's a huge waste of time that could be spent more productively training your ears instead (for example).

With recording, he's spot on. It kills illusions, but constructively.
ryanbryandyin

Post by ryanbryandyin »

Hijacking this thread with a related question

What resources would you recommend for someone coming from a guitar background and with substantial music theory under his belt? I don't plan to be a professional piano player. I just want to be good enough to play my own melodies (that I compose by hand in my DAW :D ).