Musescore finger hints (fingering) to Synthesia

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
nachomagic

Post by nachomagic »

Hi mates

I have a musescore project (.mscz) which includes the full score with the finger hints.

I can export the project as .midi but i would like also export the finger hints

Is there any way to do it?

Thanks in advance
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This will be supported directly (if you export as MusicXML) in the upcoming Synthesia 11 release.

Until then, sorry for the inconvenience! There isn't a great workaround in the meantime.
nachomagic

Post by nachomagic »

Thanks for the reply

Do you have an estimate release date?

Thanks for your great work!!!!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Not yet, but you can follow the development progress on this page. I make sure that first post there is kept up to date.
espriella

Post by espriella »

Hi, I want to do the same, I have a few Musescore pieces with my finger hints that I want to move to Synthesia to practice timing.
If it's not yet possible to automatically move .MusicXML fingering to .synthesia with the Metadata Editor, I'm tempted to try and write a bit of code to parse .MusicXML and generate the fingers text for the Synthesia Metadata Editor. On first thought it shouldn't be too hard, just iterate through each <note> element, divide for each <staff>, read the <fingering> and generate the t1 and t2s.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote: 09-26-18 10:46 am This will be supported directly (if you export as MusicXML) in the upcoming Synthesia 11 release.
Will finger hints in MusicXML show up in the falling note display? Or only in the sheet music display?
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Anonymous997

Post by Anonymous997 »

I think only in the falling note display by default, and you could change which ones showed the finger hints.
espriella

Post by espriella »

espriella wrote: 08-20-20 1:44 pm ....I'm tempted to try and write a bit of code to parse .MusicXML and generate the fingers text for the Synthesia Metadata Editor......
Well, at least this was a start -> (made a small snippet that parses fingering from musicxml and tries to produce metadata editor format that can be pasting into the "Fingers:" text box) https://dotnetfiddle.net/HuNVyo
Too bad midis count notes different from musicxml (ties, trills/mordents, arpeggios, and others produce different amount of notes between formats, so it quickly unsyncs the fingering). It would require a bit more time than a very simple snippet to work properly. Sad times for me it seems :lol: .
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote: 08-20-20 3:56 pmWill finger hints in MusicXML show up in the falling note display? Or only in the sheet music display?
The plan is to use any finger hints stored in the MusicXML file as another general source of finger hint metadata that would be sent through the usual channels inside the code. So they'd appear in all the usual places.

Today there is a hierarchy to which metadata gets priority. It goes:
1. Metadata built into the app itself (for the built-in songs).
2. .synthesia files found in the filesystem.
3. Metadata manually edited inside the app by the user.

As you travel down the list, it is allowed to override anything earlier in the list. Anything stored inside the file itself would become a #0 entry on that list, able to be overridden by anything else.
espriella wrote: 08-21-20 12:49 amWell, at least this was a start -> (made a small snippet that parses fingering from musicxml and tries to produce metadata editor format that can be pasting into the "Fingers:" text box) https://dotnetfiddle.net/HuNVyo
Too bad midis count notes different from musicxml (ties, trills/mordents, arpeggios, and others produce different amount of notes between formats, so it quickly unsyncs the fingering). It would require a bit more time than a very simple snippet to work properly. Sad times for me it seems :lol: .
That's amazingly compact! Nice job. :D (C# is my favorite place to do that sort of tinkering, too.) :lol:

The de-syncing problem was something I'd expected, though I'm impressed it even gets as far as you described. Using the "original note order" as it's stored in a MIDI file is super brittle, though I haven't been able to come up with anything much better. With a file format where pretty much anything goes (say, twenty identical notes of the same pitch in the same track at the same time), using the note index was the only real answer.