New to Forum and Pianos

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
geneva54

Post by geneva54 »

Hi I'm new to the forum live in So Cal planning on retiring in Las Vegas.

I never heard of Synthesia. Someone in the area is selling a Yamaha EX-220 with Win Tablet and mentioned that they are using Synthesia.
I would like to learn the piano and it looks like the EZ-220 and this software may make it easier.

I have also been look at the Casio LK-280 which has the same light keys as the EX-220. I'm guessing you could use a tablet and this software with that one too.

Also I would like to be able to use my own songs with the learning keys. Not sure this can be done.

I'm older so with my memory I'm not sure if I will be able to learn the piano. Sounds like it would be a good thing when I retire.

I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks
cmplays

Post by cmplays »

I don't know which suggestions you're looking for, but if you're asking on a Synthesia forum, I'm pretty sure people will say "yes, Synthesia is a good way to learn piano". However, my opinion is that if you use Synthesia, you don't need lighted keys. Lighted keys or Synthesia are two alternative methods to communicate to you which keys to press without you having to read sheet music. If you already got the keys displayed on the tablet screen, there is no need to also light them up, and vice versa. Well, I've never played on a lighted keyboard to begin with, so I don't quite know how it works.

One thing to realize though, Synthesia is good only to train your manual dexterity for piano (which is is extremely important). It does not teach you to play music. But it is very useful because it allows you to practice one skill in isolation, and probably the most important skill at that. As a beginner, having to play from sheet music is just too overwhelming because there are multiple skills involved, none of which you have yet.
st5555

Post by st5555 »

I am also a retired guy. I got a EZ-220 for Christmas last year; my introduction to any type of musical instrument.
At first I tried to learn to read music, but for me, it was as bad as trying to learn a foreign language.
It was much more fun to use Synthesia, as I also play video games.

You can download any midi you want and play it in Synthesia, but you'll have to set up which hands play what (it's not as bad as it sounds).
I plan to just sit in my man cave and play music using Synthesia. Learning to read music would be nice, but I'll probably never need it.
As a beginner, I do like the lighted keys, as it makes it very easy to see where your fingers are supposed to be when things get confusing.

Good luck
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

st5555 wrote:... but you'll have to set up which hands play what (it's not as bad as it sounds).
The last two guides in this list should hopefully make it even less bad! :)