New to Synthesia, 2 small questions

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Kryptoid98

Post by Kryptoid98 »

Hey their im new to Synthesia and still relatively new to playing keyboard. I was wondering if theres a way to enlarge the staff that you can have shown, I want to play using this to improve my sight reading but its kind of hard to see because of how far I have to have the computer screen. Secondly is there a way to show finger numbers on the staff or just on the falling notes?
cmplays

Post by cmplays »

I don't think current version of Synthesia is good for learning to sight read. Personally, I'll wait until 11(? I think) comes out with its promised MusicXML support and ability to display real sheet music. Unless I'll learn sight reading in some other way by then.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Another forum user -- jimhenry -- has made a nice set of suggestions for a sight reading feature, mostly here. The plan is to try and get at least a very basic version of that (a simple toggle to hide the current measure) in the upcoming Synthesia 11.

Regarding your original questions:
  1. Enlarging sheet music: see step #2 of this guide.
  2. There isn't a way to show finger hints on the sheet music yet. That is also scheduled for Synthesia 11.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I think cmplays is talking about learning to read sheet music rather than sight reading, a common area of confusion.

Reading sheet music is a basic skill. I am not sure what more Synthesia can do to help with this beyond providing a better sheet music display in Synthesia 11.

Sight reading is playing music "at sight" from sheet music that you have not seen before. Sight reading is an advanced skill that is of value to professional musicians more than those who play for their own pleasure.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
cmplays

Post by cmplays »

No, I was actually talking about sight reading. You don't need Synthesia to learn to read sheet music, there's already about a million Youtube videos on that topic. However, I think you could use it to learn to read as you play (or maybe in advance of what you play) regardless of whether or not you have seen it before, which I believe is called "sight reading".
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I stand corrected. Yes, you are referring to sight reading correctly. And I agree that Synthesia could help with learning that skill.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/