Continuous Play while Scrolling - Feature Request

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
ltgseb

Post by ltgseb »

It would be great if there were a toggle to keep the song playing while manually scrolling the raindrop notes. This would allow us to, for example, stop on a particular chord, and not only see which keys on the piano to press, but also hear it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This is actually something I've heard a handful of times over the years in slightly different forms. I think one of the most popular was a sort of "audition from here" feature that would play up to a full screen of music (but usually just the next chord or measure) if you let it keep going.

I still like the idea. It seems like it might be especially helpful with ear training.

I'm not sure this has ever officially made it on the task list. It's been in the incubation/brainstorming stages this whole time. Perhaps it's time to change that.
ltgseb

Post by ltgseb »

Here's where the need comes from for me:

I'm practicing a few measures, and a bunch of chords are coming up in rapid succession. What would really help me learn those chords is if I could quickly and easily interrupt normal playback, and scroll/scrub back to the chords one by one to see where to place my fingers, but also hear it. If it's a right-hand chord, I use my left hand to scroll/scrub the falling note area on my tablet, and vice versa if it's a left-hand chord.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, I agree that is a great use case. Let me see where I might be able to fit this feature in the timeline. 10.6 is already a little crowded, but I've been putting this one off for years and it feels like it would be very useful to the majority of users. That's the sort of thing I shouldn't be putting off.
ltgseb

Post by ltgseb »

:mrgreen: Looking forward to any new release. When is 10.6 dropping and what's currently in it?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

10.6 is slated for the things listed under "Portrait Mode / Small Screen Support" on the Synthesia 11 Roadmap post. Because 11 is such a large project, I've taken a liking to releasing it in smaller pieces as we go along. That gives a better opportunity to fix bugs more frequently, too.

Beyond those headline features listed there, I've got some more platform work lined up for that release. (There's always more platform work!) Finally including a 64-bit build in the Windows distribution, adding a Metal rendering backend to macOS and iOS (now that Apple has deprecated OpenGL), trying to get a little closer to working Bluetooth MIDI on Android, etc.

It looks like there are a handful of small features there, too, along with a few performance-focused tasks.
ltgseb

Post by ltgseb »

Cool - Makes a lot of sense to release in smaller chunks, for the reasons you mentioned. Looking forward to the next drop.