linux-wine incompatible with version 10.5

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
henryco

Post by henryco »

Dear ,

I installed the latest version of synthesia without checking if it is supported by linux-wine : indeed it does not work anymore !
So i would like to reinstall the 1.4 (nov 2017 version) i had before however it seems that the old versions proposed on your sites are not really exe-installers as is the last version.

So i'm able to launch synthesia 1.4 with the downloaded exe (still on wine) but some functionalities dont work completely well anymore (!?) :
for instance when i modify (with the personalize tool) a note that was attributed to the left hand to give it to the right hand , if i then leave synthesia and reopen it later, all the modifications are lost...
thanks in advance for any helpfull advice
henryco

Post by henryco »

More specifically: For the last version there are two possibilities for windows: either the installer .exe or the .zip
while for the other versions only the .zip is proposed for download on your site.

Apparantly i really need the installer.exe if i want to reinstall an older version

Indeed after extracting the content of the .zip i can run its synthesia exe through wine and synthesia can access all my midi files and also all my xml files in /.wine/drive_c/users/henry/Application Data/Synthesia
however i cannot perform any modification anymore, when i leave synthesia properly (exit) the xml files are not modified

Then i tried to copy all files from the extacted .zip to the directory

/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Synthesia

but running this one again i cannot perform any modification , as if i could only read from and not write to the xml files
even if i give all access rights to these files:
chmod a+rw
henryco

Post by henryco »

Eventually i tried various synthesia old versions installers found on other websites ...
but the problem is not solved ...

I noticed that even after exiting synthesia i have synthesia processes still running... i dont know if it's a normal behaviour... if not it might be the reason why the modifications are not saved anymore when exiting synthesia (i have worked with synthesia for years and never had this problem , it appeared after installing last version 10.5 and then remained even after uninstalling it and installing other old versions).
henryco

Post by henryco »

New elements:

1- the synthesia installer i use now is the synthesia version 10.4 from https://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fich ... hesia.html : it works fine on a debian stretch VM with wine version wine-1.8.7
The problem is on wine-2.0.5 i currently use on another distro (Mageia) !

2- synthesia is stopped correctly (modifications are saved and all processes terminated) when i just close the synthesia window : the issue is when using the exit button.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, that is a lot of information. Hopefully I can help. :)
henryco wrote:... the latest version of synthesia [...] indeed it does not work anymore !
Is there an error message? Anything near the end of the log file? How doesn't it work?
henryco wrote:I noticed that even after exiting synthesia i have synthesia processes still running...
For how long? Having the process run an extra 1 to 3 seconds after closing is normal. Anything longer than that is not.
henryco wrote:the synthesia installer i use now is the synthesia version 10.4 from https://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fich ... hesia.html
That is exactly, byte-for-byte identical to the installer from our website.

On the download page, you can alter the "Old versions" links to get the installer: just change the platform=win_sa in the URL to platform=win. The "sa" stands for "Stand-Alone Zip". For example, you can get the 10.4 installer with this link.

We don't normally link to the old installers because--while every effort has been made to handle upgrading from very old versions during installing--it's hard to anticipate making an installer work correctly given any future state the Synthesia app folder might be in. The zip version makes that a little more explicit by making you do the work of clearing out any (newer) old stuff manually, first.
henryco wrote:... when i just close the synthesia window. The issue is when using the exit button.
That is very helpful! I will investigate the differences between the two. (There shouldn't be any!)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I tinkered with the exit code a little in the new 10.6 dev preview. Does that build behave any differently depending on which way you try to close the app? Thanks!