No name notes Sharps and Flats

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
WelderMusic

Post by WelderMusic »

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I would like to ask a question. Within the program synthesia appear the names of the notes + sharp and flat. However, when I render the file to .web, only the natural notes appear. Names that contain # (sharp) and b (flat) do not appear in the rendered file, as in the images below. How can I solve this problem?
Spoiler:
File Youtube
File Youtube
Screenshot_1.jpg (120.15 KiB) Viewed 9418 times
File Synthesia
File Synthesia
Screenshot_2.jpg (220.08 KiB) Viewed 9418 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Sorry, this is a consequence of the most recent version of the video creator being older than the most recent release of Synthesia.

The short answer is to:
  1. Download Synthesia 10.4 (from the "Older Versions" section).
  2. In that version: Settings --> Gameplay --> Note Labels --> Show All.
  3. Close Synthesia 10.4.
  4. Launch the video creator and generate your video.
The longer explanation is that the "Note Labels" default option changed between 10.4 and 10.5. So when you close anything newer than 10.4, it sees that "Note Labels" is set to the default value ("Show All"), so it doesn't write that setting out to the file. But then when the video creator (based on 10.4) loads the settings, it says "Oh, there isn't a "Note Labels" setting in this file, so I'll just use the default ("Use Song's Key") value instead".

Performing the same steps (and altering the option manually to not use the default) with a matched version pair will make sure it's not lost and all the labels should show up correctly.

Sorry for the confusion!
WelderMusic

Post by WelderMusic »

Thank You!
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

So, can i install 2 version? i mean 10.4 for video creator and 10.6 for another purpose?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, it's usually safe to have side-by-side versions. The only place you might lose a preference is switching back to an old version that doesn't recognize a newer setting. (The next time you run the newer version, you'll need to set the preference again.)
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

But confusing, I even uninstalled all, installing version 10.4.4395. And I discovered that this version itself could not display the label properly. Is there any way?

Spoiler:

I tried to export the midi file again with FL, it displayed the label properly (show B instead of Cb) but some notes still didn't have their labels.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The key signature stored in the song will affect the labels. Your change in FL must have fixed the key signature event.

Otherwise, you're still seeing the between-versions "bug" I described above: opening anything post-10.4 reverses the "Note Labels" default setting, so you get unexpectedly hidden labels the next time you open it in anything 10.4 (including the Video Creator). Again, the way to avoid the problem is to use Synthesia 10.4 and the Video Creator together until you get the output you want.
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

So how to handle "label error", as the image above it shows as Cb, instead of B?

And how to "force" Synthesia to display the label of all notes (regardless of key signatures). I mean, it knows, and the drop bar is right on the key on the piano, but why can't it display that label?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Label error: those notes are named according to the key signature stored in the file. Use a MIDI editor to adjust the key signature stored in the file.

Forcing Synthesia to show all labels: again, from the top answer in this topic, Settings --> Gameplay --> Note Labels --> Show All.
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

Nicholas wrote: 11-24-19 10:58 am Label error: those notes are named according to the key signature stored in the file. Use a MIDI editor to adjust the key signature stored in the file.

Forcing Synthesia to show all labels: again, from the top answer in this topic, Settings --> Gameplay --> Note Labels --> Show All.
Let me present it again.
About Synthesia, I removed all, downloaded and used version 10.4 from the website, the settings are ok, show all labels c, d, e, f ...
Then, with a midi file I bought, Synthesia 10.4 can display all labels, ok fine. But some notes are assigned with an "inappropriate" label, meaning Synthesia shows Bb, Fb, Bbb instead of B, F, A ... respectively. I do not want that.
So I export this midi file through FL studio. However, since FL studio does not save the key signature in the midi file, then Synthesia 10.4 and Video Create 10.4 cannot display the label (some notes don't have their labels). **Synthesia 10.6 are good, so I usually film the screen with it without any problem with the label.
To solve this, I tried to include the key signature in the midi file through the midi editors. I used Musescore, Overture and Notion to export midi files with key signature again. At this point, Synthesia 10.4 and Video Create 10.4 displays "almost" all labels. However, there are still 1, or 2 notes that are not labeled.
That's all I've done, but I still don't get the video I want. What can I do? I do not want to spend time recording the screen.

Also, in the release notes of the latest version of 10.6, you said you had solved the "frame hiccups" problem. However, I still caught it randomly while playing, even Synthesia was playing at 16xx fps.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There is always a key signature. If the file doesn't contain an explicit one, it's implicitly "C Major". So, FL not adding a key signature means that you get the most "normal" one by default.

And the answer is still the same about missing labels: that means you must have opened Synthesia 10.5 or later since the last time you opened 10.4. That will always toggle the option back to only showing labels for notes in the same key (from 10.4's perspective). If you stick with only the 10.4 video creator and Synthesia 10.4, the option won't switch back and all labels should be shown.
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

Yes yes I understand what you said, so I downgraded it all to use version 10.4, both Video Creator and Synthesia. But the "tiny" problem here is the label. With a midi file, there will be a note (not all) in the song that Synthesia 10.4 shows Bb, Fb, Bbb instead of B, F, A, look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GkPBQ5A5Dc. What I do from FL to Musescore is just to force Synthesia to show only C, D, E, F, G, A, B and C♯/D♭, D♯/E♭, F♯/G♭, G♯/A♭, A♯/B♭. But it looks like I still haven't gotten what I want with Video Creator.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This chart shows the spelling of each pitch, depending on the key of the song. So, to get all of your typical flats, you could use a MIDI editor to change the key signature to F Major. To get all sharps, you could change it to E Major.
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

Oh, thanks. However, it is too intricacy. And I tried, I couldn't show everything no matter how I transferred it to any key, E or F major. If you're free, try this file with your Synthesia and Video Creator 10.4.

Maybe I will give up, and wait.... partly because Video Creator takes too much time than filming the screen. Partly because the latest version of Synthesia is always better. Thanks.
Attachments
When-You-Tell-Me-That-You-Love-Me.mid
(7.89 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Here is the same song with all the key changes stripped out, which makes it default to C Major. How do the labels look in that one?
Attachments
no-key-changes.mid
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

The results are the same as when i exported with FL studio ^^ no Sharps or Flats label. Synthesia 10.6 is perfect. So i hope u can do a small tweak for Video Creator for this issue :))
Attachments
Annotation 2019-12-12 083430.jpg
Annotation 2019-12-12 083430.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 8587 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Nicholas wrote: 11-24-19 10:58 am Forcing Synthesia to show all labels: again, from the top answer in this topic, Settings --> Gameplay --> Note Labels --> Show All.
Each time you open Synthesia 10.6, it resets the option in 10.4. If you ever aren't seeing labels in the Video Creator, change the option mentioned above in Synthesia 10.4.
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

Oh my :roll: I may have confused the settings and versions, everything is fine now, I'm sorry for spamming you. Perhaps I should stick to fully using Synthesia 10.4 before you make an update to Video Creator. :D

There is another question:
1- For a midi multi-channel (3 channel, 1 voice and 2 piano), but I just want Synthesia to show the drop bar for channel 1 and channel 2, and this is the default for all the songs (with 3+ channel) I open. . So what should I do?
I can set a song by turning off the color of other channels, but it only works on songs I set. Other songs are not applicable.

2- How to reduce render time, Video creator take x3 time than record the screen (even it using full vga but Synthesia is not). Or how to render a bunch file midi :mrgreen:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

1. For now it's manual for every song. The "color to gray-X" method is fastest. Another alternative would be to set the left/right hands to the other channels, then "Watch and Listen Only" will hide the third part automatically. But that's more steps than just changing the color.

2. The (current) Video Creator doesn't use any sort of hardware acceleration to encode the video frames. If you render to an AVI and choose something like the Xvid codec, you can get pretty fast (and very high quality results). The main reason to use the Video Creator is because it's frame-accurate: there will never be a frame hiccup, delay, or skip. The output is essentially "perfect". Not only isn't that true of Synthesia by itself, but screen recording software adds even more strain to your system.

The right answer is to start using hardware encoding when available. Intel, Nvidia, and AMD all provide libraries to access the video encoders built right into their chips. The plan is to have newer versions of the Video Creator use those facilities when they're present.
ofzatt

Post by ofzatt »

Yah, you're right, video with Video Creator is supper perfect, no frame hiccup, delay, or skip. And i can't wait for a update for it to speed up render time.
I tried export with avi format uncomprese, but it take alot of disk space, 55+ Gb for a midi 3 minutes @@. Perhaps webm is still the best option.