Roland FP-10 bluetooth and Synthesia app

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
zoltan

Post by zoltan »

Hi,

i just purchased a Roland FP-10 piano. (Also purchased the key for Synthesia ;) )

My problem is that i cant pair the FP-10 with the synthesia app, it doesnt show the FP-10 in the input device list under settings.

so far, i used Synthesia with my Ubuntu laptop via USB AB cable, and
with my android phone also via cable.

Now that my piano has Bluetooth, id like to use it that way.

Did anybody have the same issue? Or has anybody a how to for this?

My phone is Google Pixel 3 with android 10, if it matters.

Thanks.

ps: roland stock app works via bluetooth. also Pixel3 sees the FP10 as a bluetooth device, and can connect to it.
zoltan

Post by zoltan »

For the developers, is it useful?

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... ng04_W.pdf

maybe there is something odd, and needs to be add to the app? :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Try this:

1. In Synthesia, on the Settings screen: choose "Android M MIDI" from the list at the top.
2. Swipe the app completely closed.
3. Download this free utility app.
4. Pair with your FP-10 in the utility.
5. Launch Synthesia and hopefully the FP-10 will be in the list.
zoltan

Post by zoltan »

Thank you
Now it works.
Black_Heaven

Post by Black_Heaven »

Works fine but i have got a lot of delay :/. It's possible to connect Roland FP-30 on HUAWEI MediaPad M5 PRO with USB? And if yes, can you give me link of what have you buy please?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

"a lot of delay" has been my consistent experience with anything Bluetooth on Android. Sorry for the poor experience!

The FP-30 has a plain USB-B port on it, which is usually the easiest way to go. And your MediaPad has a USB-C port, so all you should need are two things:
  1. A USB-C "OTG" adapter (like this one).
  2. A plain USB 2.0 A-to-B cable (usually labeled as a "printer cable").
I haven't updated our wizard for devices with USB-C ports yet (so ignore the top half), but your setup will eventually look like this.
Black_Heaven

Post by Black_Heaven »

You don't have to be sorry for that. I had no illusions about bluetooth ^^. Thanks for informations.

Finally USB 3.0 is working now?
Or I misunderstood something about "Do not buy a "USB 3.0" cable. It's a different shape that won't work."

Something like this works too?
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B078SQ ... FPIF&psc=1
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Sorry for the confusion, the "it's a different shape" part is about the B side of the cable. That larger, chunky part that sticks off the bottom of the "normal" 2.0 B end won't fit into the back of a keyboard.

For that cable you linked, you'd still need an OTG adapter. I've never seen a C-to-C OTG adapter either, so you'd probably need a third piece in there that just converts A to C. (This all gets tricky because C is both a "device" and a "host" port now. Before when A always meant "host" and B always meant "device" it was clearer. The OTG adapter reverses the direction of communication. Normally a tablet behaves like a device that can be plugged into a computer, but with an OTG adapter it behaves like a computer that can have accessories plugged into it.)

So my recommendation is still the same: 2.0 A-to-B "printer" cable, and a USB-C OTG adapter.
Black_Heaven

Post by Black_Heaven »

ohhh ok. It's me i misunderstand, i do my best with my english ahah. thanks for all
Black_Heaven

Post by Black_Heaven »

Good i bought it. It's much better but i have got more latency on Android than PC. It's normal? Just for know, it's not a critic ^^.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Are you using your FP-10 as an output device on the Settings screen? If it's wired now, that should be very low latency.

If you're using the built-in synth, then yes, Android always has the worst latency over every other platform.
Black_Heaven

Post by Black_Heaven »

Ok ok thanks. it's just for be sure my stuff don't have got a problem ^^. Yes it's wired. Output device on my FP-30 is just for sound latency but doesn't change latency on screen no?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Screen latency (and MIDI input latency, and touch latency, and all the other latencies) are usually worst on Android.
Black_Heaven

Post by Black_Heaven »

Ok thanks a lot for all informations.