How to I use my Atruria 61 keylab MIDI controller with synthesia?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
SamStowell

Post by SamStowell »

Hello, I recently bought a Arturia 61 keylab essential MIDI controller keyboard online. I have my keyboard plugged in MIDI to usb, but my keyboard only has a MIDI out. The problem is when I play the right hand in songs i can hear it but I can't hear the left hand. Its very frustrating and I really need help with this issue because I don't want to return my piano for a MIDI in and out port on the back if that is the problem. Also, when my keyboard is plugged in to Synthesia by usb to midi, it shows up in the input and output, but doesn't respond when pressing keys, any fixes to this also?

Thanks,
Sam.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Only having a MIDI Out port is fine.

Since your Arturia Keylab doesn't have a synth of its own, which output device are you using to hear notes in Synthesia? Which entry do you have enabled on the Settings screen under "Music Output"? Is it enabled for "Everything"? Or just "Background"?

If it's set to "Everything", you should be able to hear the notes for both hands.
SamStowell

Post by SamStowell »

I am using my Atruria 61 Keylab essential MIDI controller set to everything to hear notes being playing thru synthesia. But I still can't hear both hands. Only one, and thats the hand I am playing.
SamStowell

Post by SamStowell »

Also something I noticed, if I use the build in MIDI synthesizer thru synthesia under music output, I can hear both hands, but If I just use the input from my MIDI controller thru USB to MIDI which is the output device called "Arturia keylab 61 essential" I can't hear anything at all, not even testing the device.
SamStowell

Post by SamStowell »

Here is a picture of what my output and input devices look like currently. I am not using any MIDI out currently from my piano to USB to my computer.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (137.66 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Since the KeyLab doesn't have speakers or any other way of producing sound on its own... how are you hearing anything at all with your setup? Do you have another piece of software running on your computer that is interacting with the keyboard too?

In the pure "MIDI controller" (a keyboard without its own synth or speakers) situation, using the built-in synth is probably the right answer. Like you said, that lets you hear both hands.

If you have some other piece of software running in the background that is also watching your key presses, that makes sense that it wouldn't also be able to see Synthesia's background notes. You could route things through a virtual MIDI cable (LoopBe1 or loopMIDI) to that other piece of software, but that's more of an advanced setup.