Help, MS GS wavetable synth is inaccessible (Closed)

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Anonymous997

Post by Anonymous997 »

I was experimenting with drivers like OmniMIDI and the BASSMIDI driver. This is about the BASSMIDI driver and OmniMIDI too. So, again, I was messing with BASSMIDI to try to get it to work, but it did not. So, i uninstalled it. And, microsoft GS Wavetable synth was gone! I couldn't use it! It was still there in device manager, and it said it was working properly. When i tried windows media player in a MIDI, OmniMIDI kept showing errors. So, I got OmniMIDI off my computer, and now i have no sound software drivers. Please help.
Last edited by Anonymous997 on 05-18-21 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This is absolutely a question for Keppy. Synthesia just uses whatever is registered on the system. If OmniMIDI's installation process is mucking around with audio drivers, Keppy may know how to undo it.
Anonymous997

Post by Anonymous997 »

I had wavetable synth with OmniMIDI, it's not OmniMIDI's fault. It was BASSMIDI driver. Also, I found something really strange. Piano From Above still could find the driver. But synthesia and windows media player couldn't. Could you also tell me how to change the audio output driver in windows media player?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Anonymous997 wrote: 06-11-20 4:00 pmCould you also tell me how to change the audio output driver in windows media player?
Besides changing the default MIDI mapper (which I also don't know how to do), I don't know of any way to change WMP's output device.

Sorry, again, if you installed/uninstalled something that broke your computer's configuration, you probably ought to go ask those people. I suppose that would be kode54, except I'm not sure they've been supporting BASSMIDI for a few years now.

As a last resort, you might restore from a Windows Restore Point. That's usually a pretty extreme measure that has the potential to change/ruin other stuff, though.
Anonymous997

Post by Anonymous997 »

I went to a restore point on june 09, before this all happened, and I couldn't even open synthesia. I undid the restore point, and here i am. Driver is still missing. Well, I got VirtualMIDISynth and it was worth it.
Anonymous997

Post by Anonymous997 »

But, do you know how I can manually choose sound drivers? Like, finding wdmaud.drv(ms gs wavetable synth driver file) and manually choosing the file itself?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I don't.
Anonymous997

Post by Anonymous997 »

Hmm.... I wonder if I could find a SoundFont for the driver online and apply it to VirtualMIDISynth.
Anonymous997

Post by Anonymous997 »

Reinstalling Windows 10 is another option, too. Taking the fact that the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth file(wdmaud.drv) is located in the SysWOW64 folder, it will definitely reinstall it. But, I'm not ready to try that yet.
Last edited by Anonymous997 on 03-19-21 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

As long as Synthesia's built-in MIDI synthesizer is in the list, you should still be able to play sound (using the exact same backend as BASSMIDI and VirtualMIDISynth).
Anonymous997

Post by Anonymous997 »

Good news: My computer just decided to fix itself! I've never seen anything like this, and I'm thankful for it. Now, I have MSGS on Windows Media Player AND Synthesia.

Well, now I know what caused it to fix itself. You see, I was running Windows 10 build 1909 and when I upgraded to build 2004, it installed the driver again.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, the Windows 10 2004 update causes a borderline full reset of the system. That fixed a couple weird, broken things on my machine, too. ;)

(It also removed a few of my deeper customizations...)

Either way, that's good news.