Written form of notes in the Sheet

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Mte90

Post by Mte90 »

As I am learning how to play (again) the piano I want to learn to read again the sheets notes.
So I print them and write the notes with a pen like La-Sol/ABC etc manually.
It is possible to do the same in the software itself? so this will require less steps and also have a printed version together with synthesia?
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

May I suggest that having the note names written on the sheet music is not a good way to learn to read sheet music? The goal is to see the note as written on the sheet and immediately associate it with the key on the piano. Translating a note as written to a note name to a key on the piano takes too long to be able to play music at even a moderate tempo. Also you only get the note duration and octave from the written notation. While you can probably get the octave intuitively, the duration is important. Within reason, it is usually more important to play a note at the right time rather than at the right pitch.

I encourage you to try very simple exercises to learn to associate written notes with keys on the piano. After a few weeks I think you will find it is pretty easy, at least for the notes in the key of C major (all white keys) on the treble clef from middle C (one line below) to G (space above) and on the bass clef C (two lines below) to middle C (one line above).

It may be helpful to observe that the grand staff, treble plus bass clefs, is separated by two spaces and a line. In other words, as you go up the keyboard the first space above the bass clef is B, then you have a line above the bass clef and below the treble clef for middle C, the space above that is D, and then you are on the treble clef. As a keyboard player you have so many notes at your disposal that it is important to view the grand staff as a unit rather than treating the bass and treble clefs as two separate things. A lot of people think of the bass clef as being for the left hand and the treble clef for the right hand. Often it works out that way. But ultimately it is a limiting way of reading sheet music. If you can associate the written notes on both clefs with the keyboard keys using either hand and without thinking about the note names, you will be well on your way to playing fluently from sheet music.

Learning the note names is only important for being able to read, write, and talk about music. What I wrote above would have been very hard without being able to refer to notes by name. But the note names are not important to playing music. Even the written notation is not important to playing music. There are many musicians who play by ear. They learn music by hearing it and play what they remember by hearing it in their head. Someone once asked Mozart when he would have his next symphony. He said he already had it and just needed to write it down. So don't get hung up thinking that learning note names is learning music. Learn music and then learn ways of reading, writing, and talking about it. It is just like a baby learns to talk and then to read and write. Even a fluent speaker of a language has to work at it to be able to read something in a way that sounds like they are speaking naturally.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

This seems like a good time to again bring up the request for a rhythm only mode, a good idea that has been pushed to the back burner for too many years. I think it would be pretty easy to add a check box to melody mode for "Ignore note pitch". While this is the antithesis of "melody mode", I think it would be a very useful practice mode. The key to implementing this quickly is to ignore the obvious feature creep requests such as scoring the melody accuracy or playing the correct notes. Just skip the note pitch comparison step if the box is checked. For chords, I would either require the correct number of notes or not depending on which way was more easily implemented. While I have strongly encouraged you to wrap up Synthesia 11 and release it before the end of the year, if you are not going to do that, then I think a simple rhythm only mode should become part of Synthesia 11.
Jim Henry
Mte90

Post by Mte90 »

I agree that is not the best way but is helpful because usually I write some notes and not all of them, so I have some hints to understand the notes.

Also write those are a way to help me reconize when I am playing what I am doing.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote: 07-28-20 12:22 pmWhile I have strongly encouraged you to wrap up Synthesia 11 and release it before the end of the year, if you are not going to do that, then I think a simple rhythm only mode should become part of Synthesia 11.
I've read this message a few dozen times in the intervening two months and I still delight in the dichotomy between your advice of "no new features; finish it already!" and "we've waited too long; this new feature is essential!" sent only a couple days apart. :lol:

You're right though, it Shouldn't™ take much effort to add something like that. Though, I'd sooner reclaim the real estate from the Recital mode buttons. Recital could simply become the current rhythm practice mode plus the constitution required of the user to refrain from changing the tempo. Without the online scoreboard, it does little more than that, so it's nearly vestigial at this point.

The idea of "the correct number of keys" for a chord is an interesting one. I'd have to try to it see what sort of value it might add.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Happy I can provide you with a source of continued delight.

Code: Select all

If Synthesia11ReleaseDate < Jan-01-2021 
then 
    NewFeatures==False
else
   include SimpleRhythmOnlyMode;
Does that compute better for you?
Jim Henry