iOS: MIDI File directories?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
thedealman

Post by thedealman »

Hello,
I've uploaded all my various MIDI files to iPad Synthesia file sandbox via iTunes (iFunbox).
However, even though they are organized in proper directories as shown in the sandbox, when I go to my iPad, they show up as one LONG list of MIDI files.
This is quite bothersome since I've got 1000+ some odd MIDI files from lesson books, technique books, and midi song collections.
How do I have the directory tree show up WITHIN the iOS app like the default included songs are?

Otherwise it's a huge pain and very cumbersome to find what I'm looking to play.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, I don't have a great answer. Every other platform except the iPad version has an extra option at the top level called "All Songs (grouped by folder)" which would do exactly what you're looking for. But on iPad, Apple frowns on the mention of the file system. In their UI guidelines they mention avoiding making the user think about files or folders, so I pulled that option out to avoid the app being rejected by Apple.

I'm starting to wonder if that wasn't being a little too paranoid. (Although, knock on wood, we're about a dozen updates in and have never received a rejection.) It might be as easy as changing the wording there to something like "All Songs (automatically grouped)" to make everyone happy at once.

Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime!

(This could technically be worked around with the metadata editor but it would take a lot of fiddly work.)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

May I humbly refer you to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6153
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
thedealman

Post by thedealman »

Actually, I'm pretty sure it is allowed. It's no problem showing the directories in Home Concert Xtreme (see attached pic). And the entire file tree remains intact including multiple nested subfolders.

AudioShare allows me to do all sorts of directory management from within the program (add, copy, paste, delete folders), including getting folders or files from dropbox, and it also has an iTunes file sharing folder, with full directory tree intact. Apple is very aware of what AudioShare does, as it's consistently being updated and wildly popular.

I can think of many examples where multiple iTunes folders are employed like DrumPerfect has different folders for patterns, songs, samples, environments, etc.
If you need more pics with these examples please let me know.
Spoiler:
HCX File Tree
HCX File Tree
IMG_0249.PNG (550.27 KiB) Viewed 20124 times
thedealman

Post by thedealman »

Nicholas wrote:Hmm, I don't have a great answer. Every other platform except the iPad version has an extra option at the top level called "All Songs (grouped by folder)" which would do exactly what you're looking for. But on iPad, Apple frowns on the mention of the file system. In their UI guidelines they mention avoiding making the user think about files or folders, so I pulled that option out to avoid the app being rejected by Apple.

I'm starting to wonder if that wasn't being a little too paranoid. (Although, knock on wood, we're about a dozen updates in and have never received a rejection.) It might be as easy as changing the wording there to something like "All Songs (automatically grouped)" to make everyone happy at once.

Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime!

(This could technically be worked around with the metadata editor but it would take a lot of fiddly work.)
Nicholas,
A week ago I made my case in the post above this one. Are you able to reconsider folders, now with the evidence that other apps do allow folders, and even file management?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yep, I had already agreed in that quote. "Grouped by folder" will be in the next iPad release of Synthesia.
thedealman

Post by thedealman »

Thanks for the confirmation Nicholas. I'm eagerly awaiting the next update. :mrgreen:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I have good news (for you, not us :lol: ). I was finally able to track down an unrelated bug that was happening to some iPad Pro users. The impact of the bug (things drawing incorrectly) is severe enough to warrant a bug-fix release. Coincidentally I also happened to already enabled the "All Songs (grouped by folder)" feature in the iPad version, so that change will be coming along for the ride in the bug-fix release.

With any luck that'll be submitted in the next few days (followed by the customary wait). In any event, it should be a much shorter wait than Synthesia 11.
thedealman

Post by thedealman »

That's great news. I hope it's not only good news for me. :oops: but thank you!
I've been checking back for the update every day...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I said "not for us" because it took finding a bug that broke things for users and required action on our part and to be pulled away from what I was in the middle of working on... but you're right: the net effect is positive for everyone! :D

In any event, it's been in "Waiting for Review" status since Friday night. Should be any time now.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It finally went up yesterday. (Apparently the 3 days mentioned there were business days.)

In any event, Synthesia 10.2.5 should be available in the App Store now with the new "All Songs (grouped by folder)" option.
thedealman

Post by thedealman »

Wow. Almost 5 years later and I search the forums only to find my own thread on this topic! :o :lol:

I have a variation on my previous question, but the topic still holds true...

Now that IPadOS has progressed to having a FILES application it should be a lot easier to get those midi files into the iOS version of Synthesia. Basically all relevant programs create a directory in the files app for me to place files inside that I want to use in the program. As far as I can tell, Synthesia still requires the use of iTunes file sharing? I don’t own Mac computers and never wish to install iTunes. Is there any other way, like using iCloud or the ‘Files’ application to get my MIDI songs into Synthesia at this point? Thanks.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

thedealman wrote: 10-05-20 10:27 amAs far as I can tell, Synthesia still requires the use of iTunes file sharing?
Nope, you can bulk-copy things in and out now using the Files app. Synthesia should be listed under "On My iPad".

Sometimes it can be pretty finicky to get the folder to show up in the first place, though. In iOS 11 & 12, it used to only take one "Open with... Synthesia" action in some other app like your browser. After that it would show up in the Files app.

Since iOS 13, that doesn't seem to be enough anymore. :? Instead, I just found these instructions which were able to get the folder to appear. The "move; not copy" in step #5 is the key.

Anyway, once it's there you can do all sorts of file management stuff like renaming things or making subfolders. That should all work with Synthesia without any trouble.