Error when rendering synthesia video on Mac

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
AkiPiano

Post by AkiPiano »

So as the subject says, I can't render synthesia videos on my mac. Well technically I can, but the video looks really messed up (from the attachment to this post). I've tried deleting and reinstalling the video converter but that didn't seem to help and neither did changing any of the file formats in the video converter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm using macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3. The synthesia version is 10.7.5567.

Thanks
Attachments
After opening the WebM file after exporting
After opening the WebM file after exporting
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 10.16.29 AM.png (2.4 MiB) Viewed 3591 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This is an old, Mac-only bug that I'm having a bit of trouble recalling at the moment. (Sorry!) I vaguely recall it being related to rendering video larger than your current desktop resolution. If you try the 720p option for output, does it still cause that problem?
AkiPiano

Post by AkiPiano »

Oh yeah it works now thanks!
Of course, 720p isn't ideal, but I think I can use this as a temporary fix. Is there any chance of this being fixed in the future or anything I can do to export in 1080p?
Thanks~
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Sorry for the bug. I'd actually never understood the limitation in the first place. Apple's OpenGL graphics drivers seem to not like creating "render targets" larger than the current resolution.

The good news is that since the last release of the video creator utility (in 2014), we've switched the under-the-hood rendering technology in the Mac version of Synthesia over to Apple's own "Metal" framework. I suspect that same limitation doesn't exist on that side of things. So, when we do eventually update the video creator, I'm hoping this limitation will be fixed without any special effort on our part.
AkiPiano

Post by AkiPiano »

Looking forward to the update!!
Thanks
AkiPiano

Post by AkiPiano »

Hello, are there any updates to this Mac-only issue?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Not yet. The video creator overhaul is still past the end of the Synthesia 11 task list.