Points Earned - Errors

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
mucknog

Post by mucknog »

In my opinion this value in not very meaningful.

e.g. 3 mistakes in a very short & easy piece weigh more than in a long and fast/complicated one.
I suggest this is replaced by some kind of ratio: -> total errors / all notes in piece

I also suggest adding missed notes to the error value. A missed note is an error, too.

Cheers :)
mucknog

Post by mucknog »

After thinking about it a little more...

For example:
A piece has a total of 200 notes & you make 10 mistakes -> 10/200 = 5%

I suppose using Per mille ‰ would be more useful.
Same example as above but only one mistake:

1/200 = 5‰
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

mucknog wrote: 07-29-22 2:47 amI also suggest adding missed notes to the error value. A missed note is an error, too.
Are you talking about changing the little box that appears at the right edge of the screen while you're playing the song? Or the calculation that is done afterward to assign the performance a certain number of points?

For the former, the number of missed notes is shown (during Rhythm practice; you can't miss notes during Melody practice) right next to the error count. And the number of total notes that you have chosen to play are also shown nearby, so it's easy to get an idea of the ratio yourself.

For the latter, the percentage version of errors is already used for Melody practice (while Rhythm practice does something a bit different).

I may have misunderstood exactly where you were hoping for the change, sorry.
mucknog

Post by mucknog »

Hello Nicholas,
sorry for the late reply.
I am talking about the "Points Earned" tab:

Points - Notes Hit - Errors - Avg Speed - Date Earned

The Points calculation is fine.
The Notes Hit & Errors columns are not very useful in my opinion.
I would replace those with an Errors/Total Notes (%) column where I would add missed notes to the error value.

Hope this explains it better.
Cheers :)
mucknog

Post by mucknog »

By the way I'm not suggesting the Notes Hit & Errors columns to be removed.
I am sure they are useful to others.
Just adding my suggestion would be sufficient and much appreciated.
mucknog

Post by mucknog »

One last addition. My suggested formula for the cells would be:

((Errors + Missed Notes) / Total Notes) * 1000
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

mucknog wrote: 08-20-22 6:16 amI would replace those with an Errors/Total Notes (%) column...
From a practical standpoint, a column heading of "Errors/Total Notes (%)" would be very wide (especially when translated to other languages). :anxious:

Why do you multiply by 1000 in your suggested formula? Did you intend it to be 100 instead?

And when the percentage is freely able to go above 100% (because the number of errors you make is unbounded), how does having that number expressed as a percentage help your understanding of the performance?
mucknog

Post by mucknog »

Nicholas wrote: 08-25-22 2:45 pm From a practical standpoint, a column heading of "Errors/Total Notes (%)" would be very wide (especially when translated to other languages). :anxious:
That's very true :lol: Maybe use some fancy title like 'proficiency' , or something similar.
Why do you multiply by 1000 in your suggested formula? Did you intend it to be 100 instead?
This was intended. Quoting a previous post of mine:
---
For example:
A piece has a total of 200 notes & you make 10 mistakes -> 10/200 = 5%
I suppose using Per mille ‰ would be more useful.
Same example as above but only one mistake:
1/200 = 5‰
---
I think it's just nicer to have integer values
And when the percentage is freely able to go above 100% (because the number of errors you make is unbounded), how does having that number expressed as a percentage help your understanding of the performance?
Well, just see it as a value how accurate you performed a certain piece. Considering the length and/or number of notes.
For example very fast 16th note passages would probably result in 1-2 errors. But there are a lot of notes, so won't be evaluated as harsh as making 1-2 errors in Twinkle Twinkle