Synthesia goes back to trial mode after closing

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
win20

Post by win20 »

Hi, I've just bought Synthesia and I'm noticing that every single time I close the application and reopen it, it goes into the trial version which means I have to keep unlocking it again and again, I am on MacOS Monterey and Synthesia v10.85687, let me know if you need any more information, thanks in advance.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, I don't recall ever hearing anything like that happening on macOS. The Mac version of Synthesia is generally very well behaved.

Since the data files are written when Synthesia is closing, the only thing that comes to mind is that there is a crash happening just as the app is being closed (but before the data has been written). Do you have any digital pianos connected to your computer? Maybe there is some hardware strangeness happening when Synthesia tries to disconnect from the piano?

Coincidentally, this is a problem that--while still pretty rare--has happened on the Windows side enough times over the years that we recently changed the way things are stored so they are no longer only written as the app is closing. If you try the latest development preview of Synthesia 10.9 (from the pink box at the top of this page), do you run into the same trouble? It'd be interesting to hear if the same fix can also solve the problem on a Mac, too.