problem with loading midi files to library.

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
stoneybumpets

Post by stoneybumpets »

Hi, having this very strange problem. The vast majority of my midi files will not load to the library but a select few will. There doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the midi files as I can load them up via right click in file explorer and open with synthesia. I've looked at examples of the files that do and do not load to compare them, investigated the permissions etc and cant find anything different between the ones that are and are not detected. I have attached some images showing this. Any help with this greatly appreciated. Thanks!

os win10pro
game version 10.9.5890
1.jpg
1.jpg (127.51 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (99.95 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (125.58 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (96.74 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

The "G Major Music" files are already included in Synthesia's "Built-in Songs". If a song is included in more than one location, Synthesia only shows and counts it in the first place it finds it.

If you want Synthesia to show some of the built-in songs as coming from a folder instead of being "built-in", you can use the following steps to re-arrange the order Synthesia searches locations for songs:

1. In the list of locations, click on each location one at a time and turn off the switch "Show songs from this folder in the list".

2. Quit and restart Synthesia.

3. In the list of locations, click on the location you want Synthesia to search first and turn on the switch "Show songs from this folder in the list". Do the same thing for all the other locations, enabling them in the order you want Synthesia to search them.
Dustin15

Post by Dustin15 »

Hello and thank you for the advice. I also had this problem and after following these steps it worked.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Out of curiosity, where are you guys getting a set of G Major Music MIDI files that exactly match those built into Synthesia? Those particular files are Synthesia-proprietary (with lots of additional work done on them by members of the community here vs. the originals), so it would be helpful to know if someone else has collected them into a separate download. Thanks!
monkel

Post by monkel »

Is there a list of included music? Because I don't see a folder G major music on my iPad.
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

monkel wrote: 01-10-23 11:11 amIs there a list of included music?
From the post Re: A List Available with the 150 Included Songs on Synthesia?...
Nicholas wrote: 01-10-18 5:14 amI just added a little internal (debug-only) code to Synthesia that can now automatically generate a definitive list of the built-in songs. This list should always be up to date from now on.
_____
monkel wrote: 01-10-23 11:11 amI don't see a folder G major music on my iPad.
It looks like Synthesia 10.2 and later have included built-in songs internally in the Synthesia app itself. So you won't see an obvious folder of MIDI files on your device.

I knew the built-in songs included files from "G Major Music Theory" website from reading various posts on the forums and the readme file included in Synthesia. When you go to Settings → Advanced, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button "View Readme and Legal Information", Synthesia will open a readme.html page. That page includes the following statement:
The music categorized by difficulty (and the "Keyboard Classics") are courtesy of Gilbert DeBenedetti's G Major Music Theory website.
I also knew that Synthesia only shows the first copy of any files with identical contents. So when I saw the "G Major Music" folder in the pictures of the first post in this thread, I figured the folder must contain the same music as the built-in songs.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I suppose they could just be an old set of MIDI files from a Synthesia 10.2 or earlier version that you guys have kickin' around. The folder naming in those screenshots does match the old folder naming.

I think my curiosity was piqued because this problem (internal songs "taking" the song list entries before Synthesia scans the older on-disk versions) is already ~7 years old and it felt too coincidental to have two people corroborate it in the same week. So I wasn't sure if some new source of those files had turned up.