Synthesia remembering settings on new install?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
whitemagick

Post by whitemagick »

Hi all,

If I set my colors, custom changes eg left and right hand separations etc for my songs with Synthesia, then I need to reinstall Synthesia on my new computer, is there a way to have my new install remember my colors, customisations etc?

Otherwise will have to do it all again!

Let me know

Thank you!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

You can copy Synthesia's data folder over to the new computer and every setting should carry over perfectly.

To get to the data folder on each computer try this: hold your Shift key while launching the app. That will show the configuration window. Just click the "Open Data Folder" button there.

(An important note: be sure to close the configuration window before copying any files around on either side. That window is in charge of changing settings.xml, so if you copy the files first and then close the configuration window, the newly-copied file will be overwritten immediately with the old values.)
whitemagick

Post by whitemagick »

Hi Nicholas,

is this the data folder you are referring to?

(image attached)

Thanks!
Attachments
synthesia folder screencap.png
synthesia folder screencap.png (14.79 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

1. Hold the Shift key on your keyboard and start Synthesia. Keep holding the Shift key until you see the "Synthesia Configuration" window appear, then you can let it go.

2. In the "Synthesia Configuration" window, click the "Open Data Folder" button.

For me, this opened the following folder:
C:\Users\ username \AppData\Roaming\Synthesia
but I'm not sure if this could be a different folder for you.

3. Be sure to close the "Synthesia Configuration" window before working with the files. This ensures the data files won't get changed after you back them up or restore them.

open-data-folder.png
open-data-folder.png (35.03 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
whitemagick

Post by whitemagick »

That is great. Thank you very much!
whitemagick

Post by whitemagick »

Hi,

I have set the size of the window of Synthesia just right, so every time I open it, it is the right size that I need.

If I am going to use Synthesia on a new computer, and I copy the above data from

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Synthesia

will this also copy the size of the window setting?

Thank you!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It should.

The only exception I can imagine is if the new computer's monitor is running at a lower resolution that won't fit the Synthesia window. In that case, the app will adjust the window to be smaller until it fits the monitor. Otherwise, yes, the window size is also stored in that folder and will be copied over along with everything else.