0.7.0 Preview r621, r627

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
racer

Post by racer »

First, I think that the new version looks better. But the raindrops in the keyboard setup area look a bit displaced there. I would like to see something similar to the old test place, which showed the notes pressed, and so it tells if your keyboard works right in a simple manner. (I had some issues with my keyboard sometimes. It sent always the note before the note I pressed.)
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Another idea:
Attachments
screenshot_title6.PNG
screenshot_title6.PNG (75.7 KiB) Viewed 15081 times
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

racer wrote:I would like to see something similar to the old test place, which showed the notes pressed...
The input area could show the note name. I held off on it (for silly technical reasons), but you're right... there is less information there than before.

The biggest gain in the new visualization is that if your output isn't working, you have some visual confirmation that something is *supposed* to be playing. Before, if you hit the preview button, you wouldn't know if the song just hadn't started yet, the preview was over, etc.
vicentefer31 wrote:Another idea...
That doesn't feel too busy to you? I don't know about being cold or sad or any of those things... I really like how simple the title screen is now. It's less intimidating. If I started the game for the first time and saw all that stuff all over the place, I would wonder what I'd gotten myself into.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote:That doesn't feel too busy to you?
True :oops:

Talking about the game I wonder why don´t you make by default "Synthesia Software Keyboard" instead of "No input: follow along on your own"?
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

So, the software keyboard is the first-time default. Beyond that though, if some input device that used to be selected has gone missing, turning it off seems like the more alarming course of action to let them know something is different.

I just finished putting the device names back on the title screen. They're usually just there as a footnote, but if one is set to "None" it's highlighted in a pretty easy-to-spot way.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r627
Download from the pink box above.

This is just a quick one to address some of stuff you guys suggested before marking the Song Library complete and moving on.

Changes in r627 since r621:
  • Note names are now shown in the preview input area on the Keyboard Setup screen.
  • Input/Output device names are shown on the title screen. They're shown in red if set to none.
  • The last sorted column (and direction) is remembered for the song library.
  • Improved the keyboard diagram that is shown at gameplay start.
With those out of the way, I should be able to mark it complete, right?
Frost

Post by Frost »

um, I couldn't find the time to check the new version, but is there a folder structure for the library? it can be hard to find what you are looking for in hundreds of songs. (not that I routinely play hundreds of songs, just 1-2 :) )
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Not this time around. The best you can do at the moment is sort by the "Folder" column, but that's still a flat list.

A better work-around (so good that it might not need anything more) would be a filter box that worked like the iTunes search: narrowing the items in the list while you type. That is going to be my next step. As for when that will make it in, I'll probably try to sneak it into 0.7.1, when I get around to finishing a half-way usable "text box" control.

EDIT: The filter box would be searching across all fields, including some of the hidden metadata stuff that's coming in this release.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote:With those out of the way, I should be able to mark it complete, right?
Yes, you can!!!
All the *little* changes you have made in Preview 627 are really useful, congratulations.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Here is a sample command-line:

Code: Select all

Synthesia.exe --speed 115 --channel-mode Ch1=YouPlay,ShowSheet --channel-mode Ch2=PlayedAutomatically --play-mode Practice --keyboard-zoom Song --duration-visible 10000 --sheet-mode Scrolling --on-startup PlaySettings --on-song-end ShowScoresThenQuit C:\someFilename.mid
That exercises most (all?) of the options. (Hopefully real-world examples will only use a couple of those at a time. That's hard to look at. ;) ) I'll be able to list off a better spec in a day or so once I've firmed these up some more.

This is intended to be a hit-and-run example. The spec will have units and descriptions of all the possible values for each parameter.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

That doesn't feel too busy to you? If I started the game for the first time and saw all that stuff all over the place, I would wonder what I'd gotten myself into.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I know, right?

But no, command-line people love that sort of thing. It makes them feel alive. ;)

Also, I also just thought of another one: "--dont-persist" that will make the game *not* remember any of the settings that were changed that time around. Then you could use something like this to great effect:

Code: Select all

Synthesia.exe --dont-persist --on-startup Play --on-song-end Quit --channel-mode All=PlayedAutomatically [filename]
Add a file association registry entry for MIDI files that does that, and call it "View with Synthesia" (in addition to the usual "Play using Synthesia" item).

It would basically boil the game down to a MIDI viewer. Some day when I add windowed options (on the command-line, even) that would make even more sense.

(The reason you'd want --dont-persist in this case is so you don't wipe out your "You Play" track settings when you actually want to play it yourself.)
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Well, at least TonE will be happy
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I hope so. This is pretty much just because I owe him for all my broken promises. :D

Still, it's wrapping up *much* faster than I expected, so it's not that big of a diversion. (Either that, or I'm working on Synthesia way more than usual... something like ~5 hours each day since the weekend!)

I actually just started brainstorming for the chord library, because 0.7.0 is so close now.
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

Nicholas wrote:I hope so. This is pretty much just because I owe him for all my broken promises. :D

Still, it's wrapping up *much* faster than I expected, so it's not that big of a diversion. (Either that, or I'm working on Synthesia way more than usual... something like ~5 hours each day since the weekend!)

I actually just started brainstorming for the chord library, because 0.7.0 is so close now.
Heh, as it has to detect all chords and all combinations of chords I guess that isn't that easy right? Major, minor, sustained, diminished, diminished 7th, add 2, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th and all the inversions. And if two chords are hit at once then it's even more difficult. I guess it's alot of "if and if else" (if you are using it when programming). It's a hard feature to add but extremly nice I guess. Well, good luck!
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Rickeeey wrote:Heh, as it has to detect all chords and all combinations of chords I guess that isn't that easy right? Major, minor, sustained, diminished, diminished 7th, add 2, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th and all the inversions. And if two chords are hit at once then it's even more difficult. I guess it's alot of "if and if else" (if you are using it when programming). It's a hard feature to add but extremly nice I guess. Well, good luck!
I think Nicholas should make the infrastructure but after that, users should make the work of add the chords in a chord.txt that he can use. So please Nicholas, if you need help, just say how we have to do it.
Like for example:
C4, E4, G4 = Chord C
E4, A4, B4 = Chord E
Attachments
chord.png
chord.png (23.38 KiB) Viewed 14890 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm expecting to use a chord construction approach that will detect all the variations and inversions that Rickeeey mentioned. (Although, hopefully without much if..else'ing. ;) )

That sort of thing already exists in a number of places around the Internet. What ends up happening is that when you press something like two notes you could "almost" be playing something like a dozen different chords. The fun part is determining which is the most likely (in root position, with the fewest dangling "add9 dim2" type extensions, etc.)

What I hope to bring to the table (vs. the existing ones out there) is, well... being integrated right into the game, finally getting a free-play area, and adding a fun visualization that the usually browser-based versions can't do. It's also the pre-cursor to the "Quiz Mode" item down in the with-dependencies section. And, it doesn't hurt to have a chord construction library so I can do things like annotate the left-hand parts of sheet music (or even the falling notes) with chord names.
TieDyeGuy

Post by TieDyeGuy »

My first time testing the betas. I really like the direction that you are going. The new screens look more clean and professional and the library function is amazing.

I hope to be able to contribute some useful input in the future. I am excited for the meta-data and eventual fingering information. I believe that will be the point where Synthesia goes from being a brilliant game to being a breakthrough teaching tool and starts to gather some of the acclaim that it is due.
Thanks - tdg
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best. - FRANK ZAPPA
Zageron

Post by Zageron »

How about folder sorting options in the library?
(Each folder remains minimized until clicked and then opens for song selection. Instead of one massive list.
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

Zageron wrote:How about folder sorting options in the library?
(Each folder remains minimized until clicked and then opens for song selection. Instead of one massive list.
Well, Nicholas got something in plan. I suggested columns and you just choose which song you want to sort to an column. Basically the same type of things like you can use in Mozilla Firefox but for Synthesia. But ofc you can name each column how you want.
But Nicholas has also in mind some kind of search.