0.7.0 Preview r639

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

Rickeeey wrote:
tommai78101 wrote:To Rickeeey,

Why not try one of the twelve variations of Ah vous dirai-je, Maman by Mozart? I mean, it should be a bit intermediate enough...
Huh? Actually I've done a midi for a version of the song already. Anyways, your post seems to be a bit random...
Not really random, I just never thought you done that song before... :oops: Sorry if I didn't catch up on the latest information.
Hardware Information: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz / 2.21 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2070 / Nvidia GTX 1060 dual-GPU, Roland FP-10, MIDI-OX + LoopMIDI combo.
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

I'm done with the track splitting for the midis of the hard folder now and tomorrow I will start with the harder folder I think. I've already sent the files by mail.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I got them. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Great work so far, all of you. This is going to be great for all the users. With that in mind, I haven't done a stats update in a while. Synthesia passed a half-million downloads a couple months ago. The average number of downloads each day is about 1500.

So, your work will be seen by many people. ;)
TieDyeGuy

Post by TieDyeGuy »

Okay. Here are the tracks out of the 2 - Medium folder plus the others in level 2 on Gilbert's site split by hands. I've double checked them and run each through Synthesia. Everything works and sounds right. I couldn't figure out how to get the sheet music to look exactly the same in Anvil as the download on his site for "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" but it seems to play correctly. Feel free to review and correct anything. I learned a lot doing this and appreciate the opportunity to contribute in some way.
Attachments
Medium_Split.zip
(18.04 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Thanks - tdg
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best. - FRANK ZAPPA
Choul

Post by Choul »

You don't have to worry the way it looks in Anvil Studio very much, it says something about the display in Anvil Studio, not about the midi itself. I have the same problem sometimes, awful when Anvil Studio makes automatic assumptions. You turn a setting off, make changes in the next measure and Anvil Studio makes the same automatic settings again. Please, give me lilypond. :?
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

TieDyeGuy wrote:Okay. Here are the tracks out of the 2 - Medium folder plus the others in level 2 on Gilbert's site split by hands. I've double checked them and run each through Synthesia. Everything works and sounds right. I couldn't figure out how to get the sheet music to look exactly the same in Anvil as the download on his site for "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" but it seems to play correctly. Feel free to review and correct anything. I learned a lot doing this and appreciate the opportunity to contribute in some way.
Will check it out later today! ;)
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

I'm done with checking the medium folder and it seems great. I made a few small changes and renamed all tracks but otherwise it was perfect. There's just one thing I'm uncertain about. I'm not sure if the Ants go Marching midi is right. I hope someone can check it. Here's are all the edited midis:
Med_split.rar
(16 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

I started working with the harder folder today and I'm done with two of the midis now. It shouldn't be much problem to split them except for Moonlight Sonata (it's one is 5 pages I think).
Choul, if you want you could maybe make splitted tracks for the Keyboard Classics or move over to the Intermediate Pieces directly if you want. Take your time with the easy pieces first ofc.
Choul

Post by Choul »

Thanks Rickeeey. I have only one file to go for the level 1 pieces and that's the longest. I'm planning to do it in lilypond because it's too long for a click click click with the mouse piece in Anvil Studio. After that I will look at the file you had doubts about, but that one gave troubles with Anvil Studio too, so I'm going to work that out in lilypond too. Those pieces composed by Gilbert himself are the best pieces imo, I like those. I tried the 'Rock Solid Blues.mid' from the 'harder' folder and I think that's a great piece. I wish there were more like that. :) Anyway here is the midi in case you still don't have it (splitted of course).
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

Choul wrote:Those pieces composed by Gilbert himself are the best pieces imo, I like those. I tried the 'Rock Solid Blues.mid' from the 'harder' folder and I think that's a great piece. I wish there were more like that. :) Anyway here is the midi in case you still don't have it (splitted of course).
Oh, I'm done with that already. I've done my fifth splitted midi for the harder folder just a moment ago. I agree that Gilbert has nice pieces, especially The Barn Cat, Rock Solid Blues & March on Android Moon.
Choul

Post by Choul »

Wow, you go fast... speedy gonzales ;-) Well, I'm going to do the last file tomorrow if nobody comes to visit, otherwise it has to wait until wednesday. I've done enough for today.
Choul

Post by Choul »

Beginnerslevel 1 is done, working on the Keyboard Classic pieces now.
Choul

Post by Choul »

Keyboard Classics pieces splitted and send to Nicholas. I'm first going to look at the file 2AntsGoMarching.mid now.
How are you doing with the harder pieces @Rickeeey?
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

Choul wrote:Keyboard Classics pieces splitted and send to Nicholas. I'm first going to look at the file 2AntsGoMarching.mid now.
How are you doing with the harder pieces @Rickeeey?
I got seven of them left to split and one to edit (it misses 1 note so will have to fix it).
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Right now, there are two important reason to buy a key of Synthesia:
1) Practice Mode
2) Sheet Music

The Practice Mode is excellent and in the new development is perfect with the Concurrent Chord Notes and the Practice Mode Scoring, but the Sheet Music has a lot of weakness in 0.6.5 and nothing new in 0.7.0. I think it's going to be very disappointing for people who follow this software to see that there is no improvement since the previous version for the sheet music.
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Do you have any recommendations for a quick promotion of one of the "Improved Sheet Music" items?

"Staff Detection" is the highest on the list. I'm not convinced that would be very quick to add though. I'd have to develop the heuristic and test it out pretty extensively.

"Rests" is next on the list and would be fairly easy.

Would that be enough to give users this time around to avoid disappointment, or should I do two of them?
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

Nicholas wrote:Do you have any recommendations for a quick promotion of one of the "Improved Sheet Music" items?

"Staff Detection" is the highest on the list. I'm not convinced that would be very quick to add though. I'd have to develop the heuristic and test it out pretty extensively.

"Rests" is next on the list and would be fairly easy.

Would that be enough to give users this time around to avoid disappointment, or should I do two of them?
I personally think that "Uniform Measure Width Option" and "Staff Detection" are the most importiant ones but ofc rests would be nice. So, would "Uniform Measure Width Option" be hard to add you think?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Uniform measure width is super-easy. (In fact, the measures start out a uniform width. I have to go to great lengths to make them sized-to-fit. ;) )

Historically, I would have griped that most of the effort there would be making some bits of UI to control it. (Basically, splitting the scrolling/page-flip options off into a new window that could also have the fixed/optimal width option.) But, all the effort that has led to me calling the upcoming release 0.7.0 was specifically to make that stuff easier. So, overall, I would call that one "low-hanging fruit" too.

I might be able to sneak both in.
Rickeeey

Post by Rickeeey »

Nicholas wrote:Uniform measure width is super-easy. (In fact, the measures start out a uniform width. I have to go to great lengths to make them sized-to-fit. ;) )

Historically, I would have griped that most of the effort there would be making some bits of UI to control it. (Basically, splitting the scrolling/page-flip options off into a new window that could also have the fixed/optimal width option.) But, all the effort that has led to me calling the upcoming release 0.7.0 was specifically to make that stuff easier. So, overall, I would call that one "low-hanging fruit" too.

I might be able to sneak both in.
Sounds great, I would finally be able to play sheet music with Synthesia properly. Now the sheet music display is a mess.
TieDyeGuy

Post by TieDyeGuy »

It looks like my previous response did not post so am re-posting. I apologize if this ends up being a double post.

It seems to me that improved sheet music could also be in the metadata, like fingering info. So instead of Synthesia doing a deeper heuristic analysis of each midi to produce the improved sheet music, it could look at the associated data file. If the sheet music section exists, it would be used in lieu of that generated by Synthesia. That way Nicholas does not have to re-invent the wheel at this stage, as there are projects out there that are all about sheet music. If data from say, Lilypond could be entered into a sheet music section of the midi's associated file, you'd end up with a standardized notation that users could contribute to, or change themselves if desired. This seems to be a way to take a quick leap forward that would be satisfying to users with the highest expectations from their sheet music, while allowing Nicholas to work on the game itself. Then if automated fingering and sheet music notation are still feature that Nicholas wants to tackle, they can be added to Synthesia in future versions. I wouldn't expect to see this by version 0.7.0, but it could be an expansion on the metadata capabilities, which are already in the works. That's at least two cents from me.