Project: Arduino+BLE+LEDs+Android+Synthesia

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).
  • If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
  • If you have a Logitech webcam and can't get your keyboard/adapter to work, see this post.
thiagolr

Post by thiagolr » 02-20-20 8:33 am

Hi,

I have a very old keyboard (only MIDI connections) and I would like to connect it to my Android device in order to use Synthesia. If everything works fine, than I will proceed to add some LEDs to the keyboard keys.

At first (if feasible), I would like to connect my Android device running Synthesia to the Arduino using Bluetooth BLE.

Can anyone confirm the feasibility of this project?

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 02-25-20 1:09 pm

As long as the Arduino can behave like a proper BLE-MIDI device (and your Android device supports the "Android M MIDI" feature), that should work just fine. It should just take following these steps.

That said, Android Bluetooth is spotty at best and often has lots of latency (and even skipped notes!) with MIDI devices. Another solution for your situation could be to get a USB-to-MIDI adapter (for around $20) and a USB OTG adapter ($2) to connect it to the Android phone. That would work reliably.