Generate automatic feedback on where to focus practice

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
dnetserr

Post by dnetserr »

I would like to know where to place practice loops in a piece I am currently learning.

I can imagine several ways Synthesia could help with this.
1) During a practice session, highlight "good" measures in green, and problem measures in a different color (or colors, based on number of mistakes)
2) Have a mode/option/configuration where Synthesia automatically puts a loop around a block of measures with the largest number of mistakes.
3) Have a prompt or button on the song page to "practice problem areas"
* (perhaps even for each type of practice left/right/both-hand notes/rhythm)
* this could look at the last few/several performances of the piece to determine problem areas
* this could start in a loop, rather than practicing the entire song first

It might also be handy to have an option to
4) automatically widen loops after some number of sufficiently successful repetitions
5) automatically narrow a loop if a particular section is particularly bad.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I really like all of this. I've been waiting (for years) to wrap up improved sheet music in Synthesia 11 before beginning to explore cool new ideas like these, but at least your #1 item has been on the to-do list as part of the idea for tracking progress more granularly (for Synthesia ~13 or so). Down at the per-measure level feels like the right trade-off between utility for users and technical implementation requirements.

The plan is to actually keep track of a kind of heat map of problem areas across performances of the same song. There will be a new progress bar type thing on the song setup screen (just before play) that will show red or green areas based on your collective past performances, along with indications of where things have been improving (or regressing) lately.

Automatically creating bookmarks/loops near those areas would be a great way to tighten up your practice. That's a cool idea.