Video Editor Question?

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
anthenius

Post by anthenius »

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but have been using Synthesia for a few years. Awesome product.
I have just recently downloaded the Video Editor and am experimenting with creating videos.
I am having an issue with recreating the same colors/sound that I have set up on Synthesia.
FYI, I have the latest version. 10.9.5890
The settings do not transfer over like the video editor window indicates. Only the default colors and sound.
There is a line on the window after selecting format, resolution, speed, etc that says
Everything else (colors, zoom, etc.) uses your settings from Synthesia.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Anthenius
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

On the Synthesia download page, if you go to the More Apps section and click Older Versions, you can download Synthesia Video Creator 10.4. Right under that download, there is now an important note:
NOTE: The 10.4 version of Synthesia (from the "All Versions" section above) should be used alongside the Video Creator for configuring songs and settings. [...]
The Synthesia developer stopped updating the Video Creator, but eventually wants to add video export ability inside Synthesia itself.
anthenius

Post by anthenius »

Hi Bavi, thanks for replying.
So I guess I am not understanding what is mean by along side?
My work flow is;
1. open Synthesia and import a MIDI or XML file.
2. play the song with selected colors for instruments and selected sound font
3. pause the player.
4. Open the video creator and export video

The video always comes out with default sound, blue for left hand piano and green for right hand piano.

Thoughts?
Anthenius
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

Be aware that the Synthesia Video Creator was last updated around the time of Synthesia 10.4. Modern Synthesia videos are probably made using screen recording tools.

Here are some tips about using the Video Creator.

Before you use an older version of Synthesia, you might want to backup your existing Synthesia settings:
  • Another post shows how to get to the Synthesia data folder. Once you are in the Synthesia data folder, you can copy those files to another place as a backup. If you later have problems with the modern version of Synthesia, you can copy your backup files back into Synthesia's data folder.
To customize the appearance of the exported video (things like colors and zoom), you should use Synthesia 10.4.
  • Newer versions of Synthesia have gradually added more settings and store settings in a different format. The Video Creator was last updated around the time of Synthesia 10.4, so the Video Creator is best able to understand the settings from Synthesia 10.4.
After you make the desired changes to the song in Synthesia 10.4, you have to close Synthesia for it to save its settings to a file.
  • If Synthesia is open when you open the Video Creator, then the Synthesia settings file is not yet updated so the Video Creator will only see the settings from the last time you closed Synthesia.
The Video Creator uses a different sound generation method than Synthesia.
  • Modern versions of Synthesia can use SF2 and SF3 sound fonts but Synthesia 10.4 didn't have this ability. The Video Creator uses DLS sound files and defaults to the GM.DLS sound file that comes with Windows, so the exported video will sound like "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth".
anthenius

Post by anthenius »

Thank you for the reply.
From what I am reading the plan is to update the video editor in version 11?
This may be a while.
Cheers
Anthenius