Mouseslips delete custom hand settings

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
diggidoyo

Post by diggidoyo »

Here's something that could potentially be easier to fix than to explain.
It's less of a bug and more of a user land mine.

We can spend all day getting the custom hand settings on a complicated MIDI just right, only to have it deleted by the simplest of motions demonstrated here: Synthesia custom hand settings

Another way to delete these settings is to simply double click on the tile when the hand menu is open.

It shouldn't be this easy to destroy that data as the settings are instantly and permanently lost.
This has happened to me so many times on accident, usually when coming from the song play section intending to adjust a quick note or two.
Now, I force myself to consciously and methodically select the appropriate menu out of fear of losing my settings.

The dragging feature seems to work for copying basic (non-custom) settings to a different instrument, but any custom hand settings are not carried over and are at risk of disappearing completely if dropped in the same place.
Perhaps saving and restoring custom settings could be helpful in the long term, but for now there must be a way to safeguard against this kind of erroneous user input.
Maybe something like a confirmation or at least a more elaborate action than a misplaced double click.

Is there a purpose for copying settings onto the same instrument or could this specific action be prevented entirely?