Sharing Personal MIDI's - For all to collaborate

Discuss methods, books, lessons, and websites you use to learn.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
MatSher

Post by MatSher »

HI fellow Synthesia midi masters, casual enthusiasts, professional ivory hackers and resident pros...

I want to start a Piano Midi Club (for want of a better name)
I have a stack of tunes, intros, melodies, song ideas and would love to collaborate
with others on developing them, maybe to learn a thing or two from my musical betters
or share a few tips, sounds and tricks I've learned over the years with piano newbies.

I'm sure many of us are sitting on tunes we've made that we're not too sure where to go with them,
I'd love to hear others musical talent and maybe add to a melody, and I'd be delighted to have you
guys improve on some of my mine...

So I am putting out the feelers to see if anyone would like to participate.
If there is interest I will ask Nicholas to start a new permanent thread specifically for the Midi Club.

I'll try later to put down one or two samples of what I am talking about and ask for some input.
As far as copyright goes, I believe that it seems to be a problem for Nicholas, so I'd want to say upfront
that any submissions by any members must be the posters original composition or work to avoid any
copyright issues... I am sure this won't be a problem but, I guess, it has to be said.

So tell me what you think of this idea?
Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I like this idea. For a while now, I've wanted to build functionality right into the site to facilitate this sort of thing. That is, you'd be able to submit your work a little more structured than forum posting. Not only would you then be able to find and play the submissions right in the game (searching, filtering, rating, adding comments, etc.) but they'd also be hosted in such a way that you'd be able to create a synthesia://songNameHere style link.

Assuming you don't turn off the option in the Synthesia installer, that would make it one-click to go from a web page to playing the song in Synthesia (with settings like which tracks should be set to "Played by You" optionally specified right in the URI). That type of thing would be especially useful in say, the comments section of a YouTube video or some blog post about technique.

That's the eventual goal, anyway.
MatSher wrote:... so I'd want to say upfront that any submissions by any members must be the posters original composition or work to avoid any copyright issues...
That's close. They also have to say how they're offering the submission. That is, whether it's in the public domain or using some other license (I recommend one of the Creative Commons licenses).

So long as people are explaining how their work is allowed to be used -- and that it's truly their own and not derived from any other works -- I think it's a great idea!
phiktion

Post by phiktion »

I would be interested in both ideas, as I am still fairly new to playing keys, though I have been creating music using Reason 4, and I have created a few sounds that I like and would like to take them further into a full song some day in the future.
MatSher

Post by MatSher »

Yay, This is starting to look promising...

Thanks Nicholas for responding, I'd gladly be a moderator (If you need one) for this section.
I feel strongly about betterment and collaboration and I think that your software is so beautifully made
and lends itself to this exact purpose.

I am not sure what your timelines are for your vision, or even if you've set any timelines yet but
I'd like to start on this immediately. And if you need any help setting it up, I would be happy
to lend a hand where ever I can.

I have been reading posts and many users want some help ( learning to play with both hands etc )
I have also read some of the responses ... Like suggesting to this person who can't play with both hands
to try and learn Comptine by Yann Tiersen... thats simply crazy...
What I would additionally like to do with this Midi Club thing is to make a few practice midi's for the raw beginners.
To help with the real basics... Like getting both hands working together...
Just some made up chords and simple melodies to get them started... What do you reckon about that?

So a section for Piano beginners and another for the more skilled / experienced bunch.

Could you create a new permanent thread so we can get started?
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

MatSher wrote:I'd gladly be a moderator (If you need one)...
Don't worry about that MatSher, he doesn't need our help to do this. Nicholas is like Superman, except he doesn't wear his underwear on top of his clothes (I hope :? )

Edit:
...and I am his Kryptonite :oops:
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

(You're new here, but you'll get to know vicentefer pretty quickly. ;) )

Regarding help: While I try to manage complexity as best I can, as things keep growing there will be a point where I simply don't have enough human bandwidth left to communicate with everyone. We're not quite there yet and the better I'm able to make the website and game answer people's questions without my help, the longer I'll be able to stave it off. Forum moderation has been surprisingly low-maintenance all these years. I think I've banned one person before and deleted maybe 5 posts, ever. So, there is no huge need there yet.

Regarding timeline for official submissions: There is a big push to get a certain set of features finished before the end of the year. After that though, things open back up and I'll be mostly working from the voting list again. The "User Submitted Songs" feature hasn't climbed very high on that list, though I think it was a late addition so it might not have percolated as high as it's going to yet. And I have been known to deviate from the list a little if I think it's important... so, we'll see where it ends up.

As for beginner chords and melodies, Electrode has been doing some great work over here with scales and arpeggios, though there is always room for more of that kind of stuff. I'd love to see what you come up with.

And when you say permanent thread, do you just mean a sticky so it stays at the top of the list?
MatSher

Post by MatSher »

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for your replies. I think I am slowly getting the hang of how you've got it all working,
as well as the whos who... And thanks for warm reception.

I think that simple stickies that stay on top will be absolutely fine to start with. As long as all the midi files
aren't scattered too far and wide. If a bi-monthly collection of all midi's are made and put into the permanent top post there
shouldn't be a problem at all and it will serve as a good library starter for when you get to making the additional
midi section of the website.

I have been looking at Electrodes scales and they are brilliant but if you've never taken lessons and are trying to
get your hands to work together then they may be a little lacking in the fun department.

I have prepare 5 little 'lessons' last night... from veeeery easy to semi challenging.
I have stuck to the white keys and kept / built the tunes from those little songs we
all know and played when we first started playing the piano.

So simple C A F G stuff - then mixed a bit with C G A F and a little bit of C F A G.

Its strictly for people who are just trying to get there heads around the keyboard and
playing together with two hands. It still may yet be too difficult for some cause from near the
end of lesson two I was starting to throw in a few twists and turns but I hope it will be
challenging and fun to try and perfect. I haven't bothered at all with timing, its just for people
to flex their new skills and get fingers going.

I'll make them into midis today and post them later or tomorrow, I am off to a concert today
with a cutie from Cape Town... I am from Johannesburg and Summer is finally here so its
time to get out and about.

All the best
Mat
MatSher

Post by MatSher »

vicentefer31 wrote:
MatSher wrote:I'd gladly be a moderator (If you need one)...
Don't worry about that MatSher, he doesn't need our help to do this. Nicholas is like Superman, except he doesn't wear his underwear on top of his clothes (I hope :? )

Edit:
...and I am his Kryptonite :oops:
Good to meet ya Vic, please call me Mat... It's Tré weird to have your name and surname
in one word... One day soon I must really make it up to Spain... I've seen a lot of Europe
but have never made it to Spain... I bet you enjoyed the world cup, congrats by the way,
your team ruled.

As for kryptonite... Well everybody has their vices. Nick has a Spanish dude, mine is sultry
looking Israeli girls and strangely, little finger sandwiches... Go figure.

I hope this new midi sharing lesson / song club will be a success... I am not a good piano player,
never having taken lessons and the times I tried to get a teacher to do it 'properly' I wanted to
stab a fork in my eye from boredom. I get the feeling that if we share knowledge and inspiration
we could really grow both as musicians and people. What a great opportunity. And its all
thanks to Cpt. Nicholas.

ps How do you know he doesn't wear his underwear on the outside ? ? ?
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Because I trust in Nicholas. ;)
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
MatSher

Post by MatSher »

Yo Nichlolas,

Uuum, I have made 6 starter lesson midi's and I have been trying to upload them
but I keep on getting this message -

The extension mid is not allowed.

So I'll take off the .mid ext and try again... I just wanted to know
why it would give over a message like that? I am not sure what the file
will turn into if I take the extension off, but we'll see.

I also may need a little advise on the LOGIC if you know... the midis
sound to my ear quite low and I am not sure how to globally up the tracks note velocities.

Maybe you know? Or maybe you can direct me to someone who does...
Thanks Mat

ps Okay I have taken off the extensions and it still wont upload the midi's...
I'm confused. I'll try and mail them to you personally
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I disabled MIDI files across most of the board a while back because blatant copyright infringement was becoming the norm. The next step was to go around and remove all the bad ones and then re-enable MIDI files. I haven't quite gotten that far yet. ;)

A work-around for now is to post them on some file hosting site and link them here.

In the meantime, because the most-important early November release is so close, I would like to hold off on doing anything fancy here (I was going to create another forum section where MIDI files were allowed) at least until then.

In the meantime, this thread will do. I just stickied it, so it should stay visible.

(Sorry for the wait... I have a lot going on right now and I feel like I'm spread especially thin. So much email is getting piled up! It's pretty stressful. :( )
MatSher

Post by MatSher »

I can totally understand, and thanks for getting back to me.

I am not a member of or have ever used a file uploading site...
I will try and find one and make it happen, thanks for your support
on this and I'll try and send you all the feedback if and when I get it.

All the best
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote: So much email is getting piled up! It's pretty stressful.
tommai78101 wrote: For the emails, you can try the Almighty option: Reply YES to all.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Wow, you really dug up that quote from a while ago. ;)

For reference, the "100+" I reported back then has now become 280+. :(

They go back to 2008. Answering those are awkward to say the least. "So, uh... you may not remember but you sent me an email two years ago..." I feel terrible.

It might be reasonable to assume they are no longer expecting a response... but despite trying (several times!) to file them away unanswered, I can't bring myself to do it. While it's clearly a failure now, it somehow feels like it will be more of a failure to abandon them.
BomWatchOut

Post by BomWatchOut »

Back when i first saw this posting, I though it would be about members sharing their personal .midi files right here in this topic... for more that i read, I still don't know why you guys not doing it...

I think, if the .midi is not copyrighted then it would be fine to share it...
MatSher

Post by MatSher »

I am really wanting someone to tell me how the hell to post my midi (ie . Where)
I have never tried to do it before, I was hoping to be ale to do it here.

I have seen other members post uploaded files, but try as I might I can't find
the same function on my side... I posted the beginners stuff to Nick, but he
hasn't communciated with me since... Maybe they are totally shit...

If anyone knows how or where I can start this process (upload one of my piano number.
PLEAAAAASE TELL MEEEEE,

Thanks bouys, and girls
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote:I disabled MIDI files across most of the board a while back because blatant copyright infringement was becoming the norm. The next step was to go around and remove all the bad ones and then re-enable MIDI files. I haven't quite gotten that far yet. ;)
Maybe this is where you invite in a volunteer moderator. Set up a Forum area specifically for MIDI postings and set it so the moderator has to approve all postings in that area. The moderator would have to be someone who understands what is generally permissible in terms of copyright issues. I'm pretty sure that phpBB can do something like that without too much difficulty.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

jimhenry wrote:Maybe this is where you invite in a volunteer moderator.
This is not so easy, if this "volunteer moderator" makes a bad works the problems are for Nicholas.
Nicholas made a good decision when he disabled the Midi Files in this forum.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:Maybe this is where you invite in a volunteer moderator...
Do you want to be a voluntary moderator? I heard somewhere that you understood what is generally permissible in terms of copyright issues. ;)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote:
jimhenry wrote:Maybe this is where you invite in a volunteer moderator...
Do you want to be a voluntary moderator? I heard somewhere that you understood what is generally permissible in terms of copyright issues. ;)
I'm not particularly looking for more things to do but if MatSher is willing to do the lion's share of the work, I'm willing to be a co-moderator and help with the stickier questions.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/