Getting Started with Modding Synthesia

Collaborate with other modders to make Synthesia the way you want it.
Always the latest versions: [ colors.xml | ui.xml ]
Read the Getting Started topic to learn how important it is to MERGE YOUR CHANGES every time you download a new dev preview.

Postby wacher » 06-22-18 12:22 pm

I would like to modify UI layout but the unaltered, just downloaded ui.xml seems unusable.
1)
2018-06-22_181906.png
2018-06-22_181906.png (6.51 KiB) Viewed 599 times

2)
When I modified the file according to error message, Synthesia just crashed.
I wanna add a large space between |< >| and +/-, i think (and experience) that there are too close if you use touch device.
wacher

Postby Nicholas » 06-23-18 4:25 am

Ah, sorry! You were the "lucky" first person to find the bug in some of the newer work in my build automation. I was making it a little easier to package things up for checking crash reports and it turns out the new script moves the files someplace else now before trying to upload them (from the location they are no longer in).

The actually-latest versions are up in the pink box now. You were missing quite a few more changes than just that numeric label; that automatic upload has been broken for three previews now!

Regarding your mod, head down to around line 895 (in the updated version of ui.xml) and you should be able to sprinkle a few of these around every other line or so:

Code: Select all
<ui type="spacer" size="20, 10" />

Out of curiosity, do you use Synthesia on Android? As a compromise for smaller-screened devices there, we scale things down a bit. I agree that it's hard to tap things accurately there. I'm hoping we'll get a chance to tackle small-screen support a little better along with the portrait orientation feature coming in a couple previews after 10.5 goes out the door.
Nicholas

Postby wacher » 06-23-18 5:42 am

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your help.
I use Synthesia on Windows10 with 19" touch monitor.
This is a desktop config with multiple monitor, one of the monitors is a touchscreen, this one is installed above my piano and I don't use mouse and keyboard for playing with Synthesia.
Your suggested spacer is excellent, it does exactly what I want, thx!
wacher

Postby Nicholas » 06-23-18 6:02 am

Another solution in the case of a desktop/touchscreen situation is to increase the window scale a bit:

1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia.
  2. Find the "Graphics.ScaleOverride".
  3. Type "1.5" in the box (without the quotes).
That will make everything uniformly larger, which often makes it easier to tap things. If that's not enough, "2.0" makes things very large with nice, crisp graphics.

(While you're in there, you may want to enable "System.TouchscreenMode" to drop the dark gray when using the virtual piano.)
Nicholas

Previous

Return to Modding Synthesia