Synthesia drops the framerate randomly

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

• If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
  • If you have a Logitech webcam and can't get your keyboard/adapter to work, see this post.

Postby ofzatt » 12-08-18 6:05 am

Hi,
I'm using the latest version of Synthesia (10.5) and I found the software randomly dropping the framerate, though I am forced it to run with more than 13xx fps (set FrameMinMilliseconds to 0 and Vsync unchecked). With these settings, Framerate can be up to 16xx and Synthesia uses 45% CPU (i5 Haswell) and 80% GPU (750 Ti). The dropping bar is very smooth, but the software randomly flash drop frame while playing. And yes, I use synthesia with FL studio (via Loopmidi) and a windows video recorder. I tried the setup FrameMinMilliseconds to 1 and 2, but choppy is even more noticeable, although the framerate is very high (over 600 fps). What I need to do?
ofzatt

Postby Nicholas » 12-08-18 9:10 am

What do you mean by "randomly flash drop frame"? Does the screen actually flash?

I've noticed that unless the app is in full-screen mode (press Alt-Enter), that the OS (or graphics driver or something) seems to give it less priority than it should. Once in full-screen mode, things seem to proceed much more smoothly.
Nicholas

Postby ofzatt » 12-08-18 10:13 am

I dont know how to describe it. mean, it suddenly jerked. Here. this is more than 1400+ fps :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZ13gwLdz8
ofzatt

Postby Nicholas » 12-08-18 11:02 am

Yeah, those tiny hiccups are what I was talking about, too. Does switching to full-screen mode help make that happen less often?
Nicholas

Postby ofzatt » 12-10-18 12:07 pm

not different, still flash drop :(.
ofzatt

Postby Nicholas » 12-10-18 12:19 pm

I've also noticed that those sorts of tiny interruptions are very sensitive to the kinds of apps you have running in the background. Even just having a couple Chrome tabs open can make things a lot spikier. Does closing everything else (including non-essential notification area apps) help anything?

I'm not sure there is any way to make things perfect on a multitasking OS like Windows (vs. say, making Synthesia for a game console where the apps are allowed to have the full system's attention) and we could certainly do better with the some of the real-time programming in the app itself, but hopefully those steps help.
Nicholas

Return to Help and Bug Reports