Fingering in %APPDATA% folder but on Android

Collaborate with other modders to make Synthesia the way you want it.
Always the latest versions: [ colors.xml | ui.xml ]
Read the Getting Started topic to learn how important it is to MERGE YOUR CHANGES every time you download a new dev preview.
bluestreak711

Post by bluestreak711 » 07-29-19 2:16 pm

I know how to find the fingers.xml file on a windows pc, but not on an Android device. My purpose is to easily backup and insert fingering directly into the data file that stores it. Can anyone help me out by telling me where to find it on an Android device?

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 07-29-19 2:36 pm

Unfortunately this data lives in a private place on Android that is inaccessible unless your device is rooted. :?

We originally tried leaving it in one of the public places (to support exactly the kinds of use cases you described), but quickly discovered through crash reports, 1-star reviews, and emails from Android users that only the private area is guaranteed to always be present on all devices.

I've been thinking about a single-tap "import/export all data" feature that would let you save a zip file someplace else on your device or SD card or wherever. That feature doesn't exist today, unfortunately. So, the best (awful) advice is to do your finger hinting on a PC or Mac and then extract that metadata into a .synthesia file that can be more easily shared on iOS and Android devices.

bluestreak711

Post by bluestreak711 » 07-29-19 3:05 pm

This is extremely helpful information believe it or not. I can either try to root this phone or install Synthesia on one of my other rooted phones. Can you tell me where I can find this data on a rooted Android device?

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 07-29-19 4:09 pm

It should be someplace like /data/data/com.synthesia.synthesia

bluestreak711

Post by bluestreak711 » 08-08-19 3:02 pm

I successfully rooted my device and I do not see it in that location. I accessed a Meta data folder under apps in File Explorer, but still no fingering. I also do not think it is saving my fingering I set eash time I close the apps.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 08-08-19 6:30 pm

Hmm, usually file saving is all-or-nothing. Is anything custom appearing anywhere (say, the recent songs list on the title screen)?

I think the save location varies by device and manufacturer. It'll be around there someplace. If you can search the filesystem, try looking for "settings.xml". The rest of the XML files (including fingers.xml) should be in that folder too.