Program won't open says score data file could not be loaded

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
plebez

Post by plebez »

Hi,

As the topic says I cant open the synthesia program, it comes up with an error message saying "synthesia detected a problem and must close. The score data files could not be loaded. Error parsing element attitude."

I have tried restarting my computer and uninstalling and reinstalling but it's still not working. So please let me know if there's anything i can do to fix it.

Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Like I mentioned over on Reddit, reproduced here for any future searchers:

Sorry that Synthesia is causing you trouble! That problem is caused by a bug we're still trying to track down. In the meantime, hopefully this will get you back up and running:
  1. Hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia to open the configuration window.
  2. Click the "Open Data Folder" button.
  3. Delete or rename the "scores.xml" file in that folder.
That should do it. After you close the configuration utility, Synthesia should start back up again.

The file is already corrupt, so some progress is probably already lost. That said, the majority of it may be salvageable. If you're familiar with XML files, you may be able to manually correct the problem using a text editor. (The corruption usually looks like a new file partially overwriting an old one, so sometimes the errors can be subtle.) An online XML validator tool like this one can be useful during this sort of procedure.

For what it's worth, in the next update or so we're hoping to migrate to a different way of storing data that is less prone to this type of (very rare) problem. Sorry again for the trouble!