Updating to Newest Version?

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).
  • If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
  • If you have a Logitech webcam and can't get your keyboard/adapter to work, see this post.
AllNotesCount

Post by AllNotesCount » 11-01-19 5:31 pm

Hi!

I'm still on Synthesia 10.3, and the main reason is that I have simply not found any button to update the software. Also haven't found any help for this on the Synthesia website.

Do I have to simply download the Software again and then put in my code there again?

Plus: Is it possible to have both versions (the old version and the new version) installed on the same Computer at the same time?

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 11-02-19 7:54 am

Yep, just download the new version and install it on top of the old or grab the zip version and simply run it alongside the other. You shouldn't even need to type your code in again. :D

AllNotesCount

Post by AllNotesCount » 11-02-19 1:06 pm

Hi Nicholas!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was a bit afraid that I might lose any settings for the songs, but that wasn't the case - the zip Download worked perfectly!
So I can now retire version 10.3 :)

One more question: I should keep the Synthesia.exe in the same folder than the dll-Files, right?

Plus a suggestion: I really had trouble finding the download page on the website. Now I know, that for future updates I'll have to click on "Try it Free". Anyway, other users might face the same challenges. So I'd suggest to rename that button into "Try it Free or Update to newest version" or something like that.
Also, I'd suggest to add a short documentation to the download page (especially containing: differences between Installer and zip file, no song settings will get lost, Synthesia.exe respectively Synthesia folder can be placed anywhere on the drive, how to keep the older version besides the new one).

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 11-18-19 9:36 am

AllNotesCount wrote:
11-02-19 1:06 pm
One more question: I should keep the Synthesia.exe in the same folder than the dll-Files, right?
Technically you don't need the DLL files at all, but you'll start to lose functionality as you get rid of them. Bass and bassmidi are required for the built-in synth. And the rest are required for the (disabled by default) Windows 10 MIDI features, which are the only way to get Bluetooth devices connected on Windows.

But yes, DLL files in the same folder. :)
AllNotesCount wrote:
11-02-19 1:06 pm
Plus a suggestion...
I wonder if the solution isn't just me being more consistent about including an in-app (title screen) news entry about a new version that takes you directly to the download page in a single click. I usually wait a few days after a new version is available before the big news entries to do a kind of "staged roll-out" just in case there is a bug that slipped through the cracks. Better to have it go out to fewer people before I get a chance to fix it.

... except I routinely lose track of "a few days after" and often forget to make the news entry altogether.

Lately I've been making some improvements to the build/release process on my end. The number of steps has a tendency to creep upward from the "single click" ideal, so I have to do some work every once in a while to fight that off. This latest revamp will be the closest I've ever gotten to that ideal and I'll even be able to roll out new builds to the server in the same single click. It might be worthwhile to include an extra automatic step that creates an "in one week" title screen news entry for the new release.

(Better than any of these ideas would be a fully automatic update process on the user's side, but that takes some of your agency away regarding multiple versions in different locations, etc.)

The name on the button is tricky. It used to be "Download" or "Download Now", but I liked the idea of communicating that there was a free trial available, so it's been "Try it Free" for some time now.

I will agree that there isn't quite enough info on the download page itself. We could do a better job of pointing people at the right file and explaining what to do with it. (Sorry for the inconvenience!)